CentOS Server Migration Issue

Issues related to applications and software problems
TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: CentOS Server Migration Issue

Post by TrevorH » 2018/03/15 19:56:57

The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

Yukon

Post by Yukon » 2018/03/15 20:07:13

Thank you very much indeed. Initially I did not run the server someone else did. He quit the project and I'm having to learn how to do it myself. Thanks for bearing with me.

avij
Retired Moderator

Post by avij » 2018/03/15 20:10:05

The next time you run into an issue, could you please post the full yum output and not just the last few lines? Thanks.

avij
Retired Moderator

Post by avij » 2018/03/15 21:07:41

I believe you are experiencing something like this. You had an updated libstdc++ installed on the new server, then tried to install an older libstdc++-devel. This is going to end up in tears, because there are version dependencies between libstdc++ and libstdc++-devel. There are likely other similar package dependency problems as well.

I would suggest going back to your old server and regenerating the package list in a more failsafe manner. You can then use that new package list (without version numbers) to install the packages you want.

If this is not an option, you may need to first install some packages manually, like you already did for libstdc++-devel. Once you have installed enough packages from your list, you can run your bigger "yum install" script and then run "yum update" to bring the system up to date.

Yukon

Post by Yukon » 2018/03/15 23:00:06

I was using https://www.ostechnix.com/create-list-i ... os-ubuntu/ and I guess while it worked initially a couple of weeks ago it has caused me problems today. I am now using the rpm -qa --qf '%{NAME}.%{ARCH}\n' > pkglist.txt to like you guys have advised me. I have learned something new today and have updated my notes accordingly. I'm originally an Ubuntu guy but my servers are running CentOS 7 so I'd rather learn how to use it as I know it is better than Ubuntu anyhow. As I type this everything is going very smoothly indeed.
Only error that could be an issue is grubby fatal error unable to find a suitable template, again the kernels are the same.
Thank you both very much for the help thus far :)