[SOLVED] yum repository-priority rules

Issues related to applications and software problems
ysc

[SOLVED] yum repository-priority rules

Post by ysc » 2018/05/21 07:36:00

Hi all,

The question is simple; what exactly happens when yum-plugin-priorities sets the same "N" value for two enabled repositories?

A bit of background: I thought giving the same "N" priority-value to two different repositories would make yum install/update the highest version of a package regardless what repository it comes from. The problem in my case comes from kmod-nvidia, which I installed from ElRepo (version 390). However, I also have RPM Fusion enabled, which also packs kmod-nvidia (but version 384). This is giving me headaches every time I try to update my packages via yum. My initial thought was to set the same priority to ElRepo and RPM Fusion, but this is not working unless RPM Fusion's priority is lower (not equal) than ElRepo's.

Or in other words, I would like to keep kmod-nvidia from ElRepo but I also would like to keep RPM Fusion enabled, but I do not want to have conflicts between them two every time I try something like "yum update." What would it be the best solution in your opinion? Thanks!!!
Last edited by ysc on 2018/05/22 06:52:06, edited 1 time in total.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: yum repository-priority rules

Post by TrevorH » 2018/05/21 07:55:39

Add exclude=kmod-nvidia* to the rpmfusion .repo file.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

ysc

Re: yum repository-priority rules

Post by ysc » 2018/05/22 06:51:28

Thanks for your reply. That makes total sense, I was so fixated with priorities... which is, by the way, the option suggested in ElRepo's documentation :D