wine with Centos7.4

Issues related to applications and software problems
john2018

wine with Centos7.4

Post by john2018 » 2018/05/23 21:24:52

Is there a difference between wine for C 7.4 and wine for Centos 7.5?
I'm trying to install on 7.4 - is that ok for the yum download as standard

taylorkh

Re: wine with Centos7.4

Post by taylorkh » 2018/05/29 13:29:47

Hello john2018,

I am not sure I can answer your question directly. Please allow me to pass along my recent experiences. Perhaps they will provide some insight.

I have been running a home made (compiled and packaged as rpms) 32 bit 1.8.x version of Wine on CentOS 7.1 - 7.4. I had excluded wine and a few of its dependencies in /etc/yum.conf. Upgrades through 7.4 worked fine. The upgrade to 7.5 failed due to a dependency conflict

Code: Select all

Error: Package: wine-core-1.8-1.el7.centos.i686 (installed)
           Requires: libgphoto2_port.so.10
           Removing: libgphoto2-2.5.2-5.el7.i686 (@base)
               libgphoto2_port.so.10
           Updated By: libgphoto2-2.5.15-1.el7.i686 (base)
              ~libgphoto2_port.so.12
If I excluded the offending package from upgrading it broke several other packages. Time for plan B. See this thread https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175629844/

If you load the current version of wine (3.0.1) on CentOS 7.4 it MIGHT try to load 7.5 vintage dependencies such as the one described above. This might break other 7.4 packages which you have installed unless they are also upgraded etc.....

If you need to run any 32 bit Windoze programs - forget about it - at least with the epel wine package.

If you wish to run 64 bit Windoze programs - I found that the .msi for one of my THREE old Windoze programs would install a 32 or 64 bit version of the program. I decided to do an experiment. I built a CentOS 7.5 virtual machine in VMWare, installed wine 3.0.1 from epel and installed the Windoze program. I found that this wine environment would NOT map drive letters. I did some research on the error I received and found a bunch of finger pointing between wine and the other program (of which I cannot recall the name) which presented the directories to be mapped. Interestingly I just installed wine 3.0.1 from epel on a freshly built VM and the drive letter feature works fine (?)

Is it possible that you can upgrade your environment to CentOS 7.5 before installing wine? I know point upgrades in CentOS are always an adventure. I believe that all packages in the repos are now targeted at 7.5 and installing new packages might sort of drag you kicking and screaming into 7.5.

Tip of the day: When a BIOS upgrade to fix a hardware error after upgrading to 7.5 prevents the machine from booting - and two + hours with premier technical support from the vendor provides no answer than "reinstall the OS"... unplug ALL cables from the box and pop the coin cell/battery to allow the BIOS to clear the volatile part of its mind. Put everything back together, power on, set the date and time and boot into 7.5 :mrgreen:

Ken

john2018

Post by john2018 » 2018/05/29 14:41:39

Thanks ken

I'll take a look at your suggestions. The only reason I want wine is to
run a couple of 32bit games.
7.4 is likely my last Centos install so I wont be going to 7.5. I was just
taking a look at what I could get wine to do and found the 32bit issue.
(I had previously assumed it ran 32 bits as default)

It would be great if I could get 32bits running - if not it isn't the end of the world.
(I have a windoze7 machine if I must use it)

I'll give it another go and see what I can do.

cheers.
john

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2018/05/29 14:52:25

7.4 is likely my last Centos install so I wont be going to 7.5. I was just
It's not like that. You need to run yum update on a regular basis to keep up to date with security updates. As part of that it will update you from 7.4 to 7.5 (and has probably already done so).
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

taylorkh

Post by taylorkh » 2018/05/29 15:27:29

Hello again John,

As TrevorH said you might be at 7.5 already. try "cat/etc/redhat-release" in a terminal and see what you get.

Code: Select all

[ken@taylor20 Desktop]$ cat /etc/redhat-release 
CentOS Linux release 7.5.1804 (Core) 
If you want to try to build 32 bit wine on CentOS 7.x, have a look at item 27 in my Linuxquestions.org thread https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... ost5857876 Install the .i686 packages which I listed then download the source tarball from winehq.org. Unpack the tarball and from a terminal (as yourself, NOT root) cd to the top directory where the source was unpacked to. Issue the command ./configure and when that is done it should invite you to make and make install provided nothing is missing.

Again as yourself run make - and wait a WHILE. You are compiling a big part of Windoze. When that completes you need to install it as root. I run "sudo make install" as my account is a sudoer. You could also su and then run "make install" I have no idea why but this recipe produces a 32 bit wine environment by default. As yourself run winecfg to get started.

OR - wine on Ubuntu Mate 18.04 supports both 32 and 64 bit. Here is a page describing how to force it to 32 bit https://askubuntu.com/questions/136714/ ... bit-ubuntu Unfortunately it does not work on CentOS 7.5.

Ken

john2018

Post by john2018 » 2018/05/30 09:47:37

Thanks for the warning Trevor but I don't need or want security updates for this machine.

Ken
...Unpack the tarball and from a terminal (as yourself, NOT root)...
Is there a specific technical reason this cannot be done as root (apart from the normal
advisory comments)?
If something can't be made to run as root I don't want it on the machine so I'd just be wasting
my time.

FWIW cat /etc/redhat-release gives:
7.4.1708 (Core)

taylorkh

Post by taylorkh » 2018/05/30 10:11:51

Good morning John,

Looks like you are still at 7.4. As far as configure and make... These are steps to compile a program, in this case wine, into a form in which it can be run by the computer. configure checks that the necessary libraries, tools, compilers etc. are installed on your computer and sets up things to be able to do the actual compiling. make initiates the compiling.

If you have studied every line of code to make sure it will not do anything undesirable I guess it would be "safe" to compile as root. Otherwise, there is no reason to do so. If you run make as your non-root account you can not do any damage beyond your own stuff. You will not damage the system.

Once the compile completes successfully you DO need root privileges to INSTALL the program as it will place files in restricted directories and make other system level changes. This is true when you install a pre-built package using yum or rpm. Once wine is installed by root you will be able to run it as YOU which is the objective.

Ken

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2018/05/30 15:11:36

Thanks for the warning Trevor but I don't need or want security updates for this machine.
You may not but we do. You are a danger to everyone else unless you apply updates in a timely manner.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke