remote virt-manager connection

Issues related to applications and software problems
hoganskunk

remote virt-manager connection

Post by hoganskunk » 2018/06/02 13:13:05

Previously I used Centos 7 Server as my desktop and all good. Replaced it with RHEL WS 7.5 (required to learn for work) I start virt-manager and make a remote connection to another box, my Centos 7 server (CLI) I'm asked for a ksshaskpass for root = all good, my virt-manager populates with the remote vms. Then I launch one, and I'm again asked by ksshaskpass for root = no joy it keeps asking for the PW, even though I successfully used the password to make the connection for virt-manager. I have also tried the password for root user of the VM=no joy.
The VM launches (as seen on remote host server with virt-top) but I get no display, it's blank. I log into the remote Centos server (CLI) and see ssh:notty bad log ins. I do have spice running, I have forwarded X desktop in both ssh configs, my local vms (running on RHEL WS 7.5 work great), I have disabled KDEWallet and even removed ksshaskpass within it (still is used somehow).
This did successfully work for years when I was using Centos 7 Server as my desktop.
Any ideas... yea I know, go back to Centos Server as my desktop and learn RHEL from a vm... last option? :)

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: remote virt-manager connection

Post by TrevorH » 2018/06/02 14:50:59

I have seen a weird thing with ssh prompts with virt-manager but I am not sure it's the same thing you're seeing. What I saw was similar to you but I got repeated prompts when first trying to connect. I'd doubleclick the server and it would initiate an ssh connection to it and prompt for the passphrase and then it would appear to do it again immediately and keep doing it. What it was, was the first prompt was for permission to add the host key to the known hosts file and it wanted just the answer 'yes' (not y or enter but exactly yes). Then it would actually ask for the passphrase. Both prompts looked identical as the actual prompt text was hidden.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

hunter86_bg

Re: remote virt-manager connection

Post by hunter86_bg » 2018/06/07 00:13:14

Usually it asks several times for the password, and when you open the VMs' console it will also ask for your ssh's password again.
That's why I prefer using ssh keys and ssh configuration - as you can't pass some options view the Virt-manager.Another option is to enable ssh to reuse the connection by creating a socket.