installing yubico KSM server

Issues related to applications and software problems
jenmead

installing yubico KSM server

Post by jenmead » 2018/09/20 17:45:30

Hi,
I have dug around quite a bit looking for centos7 comments about using a server for a KSM key for yubikey/yubico. Some instructions say install mysql, others say mariadb etc. i tried several versions but have not got it running yet. So a basic question to being with is who has been successful and db did you install? Where did you download that package from?

Regards,
Jen

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: installing yubico KSM server

Post by TrevorH » 2018/09/20 17:57:34

To all intents and purposes mysql and mariadb are the same thing. Mariadb was a fork of mysql, made by one of the original authors of mysql, back when Oracle first bought Sun (Sun had previously bought mysql). They use the same SQL syntax, they listen on the same port, they speak the same protocol and for all intents and purposes are interchangeable.

CentOS, along with almost all other linux distros, ships mariadb so installing it is as easy as yum install mariadb-server
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

jenmead

Re: installing yubico KSM server

Post by jenmead » 2018/09/21 19:00:18

Thank you Trevor for that reply.

I think the biggest obstacle was finding the right version that had the files all landing where they were expected. I did download from the centos repository and for the very first time it put all the files in the correct default locations and started right up without errors. I was very thankful. I have managed to get the OTP authentication server up and running and responding back! Super thrilled about that! Not sure how to close this thread, but I will try.

Regards,
Jen