Setting up CentOS 7.5 (1804) as desktop?

Issues related to applications and software problems
sceafa

Setting up CentOS 7.5 (1804) as desktop?

Post by sceafa » 2018/10/16 07:55:33

Hello Everyone,

I'm planning to install CentOS 7.5 (1804) as desktop on an old laptop, I like the idea of having a stable base to build upon. I've done some research for doing as such however they are a little dated, so I’m hopefully looking to get some more up to date suggestions and confirmation of my thoughts if possible.

My set-up will be a laptop single boot to CentOS with a single HDD.
Toshiba Satellite C640 CPU: Intel Celeron B800 RAM: 8GB

Firstly, I've prepared a bootable USB of the DVD ISO, from what I've read it has be suggested to install Cent with the Gnome DE, Gnome Apps and Gnome Tweaks then after replace it with a different DE if I want?

Would any of you agree with this suggestion?

Secondly, I am looking for some information on which additional repositories should a general user need i.e. not a server administrator or developer and is it a good idea to run a system update before adding any extra repositories?

Repositories I am considering:
SCL, IUS or Remi
(I am a little confused as to whether a general user would need one of these but I noticed people using Cent as desktop are.)
EPEL and ELRepo
(I figure EPEL is essential as other repos require it and ELRepo would be useful for drivers and kernel update.)
Nux-dextop, RPMFusion or both
(My assumption is that these repos will conflict but at least one will be required if I would like use Cent as a desktop.)

Are there any other repos anyone would suggest?

Thirdly, I’m wondering that if I want to or choose to update the kernel, should I do this before adding any repos and software other than that required which required to update the kernel and should this be done after a system update or before?

Fourthly, would you recommend installing the following yum tools; yumex, yum-utils, yum-priorities, yum-protectbase as these seem to be very useful tools to have ready if needed.

Fifthly, other additional programs I’m considering are ntfs-3g, fuse-ntfs3g, gparted?

Sixthly, do you think I would need samba and grsync as a general user?

Any other suggestions or considerations would be appreciated?

Thanks,

Sceafa

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Setting up CentOS 7.5 (1804) as desktop?

Post by TrevorH » 2018/10/16 15:29:46

I've prepared a bootable USB of the DVD ISO
There are many broken tools for creating USB sticks, make sure you avoid the broken ones. Information on USB key based installs can be found at http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
I am looking for some information on which additional repositories
IUS and Remi both provide newer versions of things like php/mysql and python. If you don't need newer versions of those types of things then you won't benefit from those repos. If you do need them then pick one of them, not all of them.

Pick one of rpmfusion or nux-dextop, not both. They contain similar packages and some of them are incompatible. I believe nux has far more choice available (2000+) but it's been a long time since I looked at rpmfusion.
I’m wondering that if I want to or choose to update the kernel
You always want to stay up to date. Bugs are found and fixed all the time. Some of those are nasty security bugs and could lead to your computer being exploited. That's true of all packages not just the kernel. Using yum-cron can be useful though I personally would have it install updates automatically but it can be used to notify you when updates are available.
would you recommend installing the following yum tools; yumex, yum-utils, yum-priorities, yum-protectbase
A GUI install will already have gnome software which is similar to yumex. You'll probably have yum-utils already but I'd regard it as essential if not. I'd pick one of priorities or protectbase though they can coexist. Be careful about what priorities you assign to which repos - base and updates should always be the highest priority 1, everything else should have a lower priority (higher number).

ntfs packages are in EPEL.

Whether you need samba is down to whether you need to share files with Windows or other machines. For linux machines you're probably better off using nfs.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

sceafa

Post by sceafa » 2018/10/17 03:10:18

Thanks for the advice :)
TrevorH wrote:
2018/10/16 15:29:46
There are many broken tools for creating USB sticks
I used the Fedora Media Writer to create the USB, so hopefully it should work. I did also check the ISO's sha256 and it matched.

Is there a particular good practice method for updating the kernel or does it not matter?

Should I update before a system update or after?
Should I update before I install any applications or after?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2018/10/17 08:22:23

Is there a particular good practice method for updating the kernel or does it not matter?
Just run yum update on a regular basis and it'll be kept up to date with the rest of your system.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke