What changed in kernel to explain this?

Issues related to applications and software problems
mathog

What changed in kernel to explain this?

Post by mathog » 2018/12/13 18:23:08

In this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=67676&p=284270

I found yesterday that kernel 3.10.0-862.6.3.el7.x86_64 boots with these errors (every time, no matter what I tried):

Code: Select all

[FAILED] Failed to start Network Manager Wait Online.
[FAILED] Failed to start LSB: Bring up/down networking.
[FAILED] Failed to start NFS status monitor for NFSv2/3 locking..
[FAILED] Failed to start NIS/YP (Network Information Service) Maps Transferring Accelerator.
[FAILED] Failed to start NIS/YP (Network Information Service) Users Passwords Change Server.
[FAILED] Failed to start NIS/YP (Network Information Service) Server.
[FAILED] Failed to start NFS Mount Daemon.
[FAILED] Failed to start NIS/YP (Network Information Service) Clients to NIS Domain Binder.
This was of course a disaster since NFS, YP were completely off, and that in turn was the result of RPC barely working. (rpcinfo -p would
work sometimes, usually it timed out - even if iptables and selinux were turned off. Sometimes it would work, but only after many tens of seconds. This to the local machine!)

Kernel 3.10.0-862.6.3.el7.x86_64, which this machine had been using for the previous 6 months of uptime only has these errors (both when it rebooted yesterday, and the previous times 6 months ago):

[FAILED] Failed to start Network Manager Wait Online.
[FAILED] Failed to start LSB: Bring up/down networking.
I believe that both of the latter errors result because the two ethernet interfaces have all parameters hardcoded into ifcfg-em[12] and also have

NM_CONTROLLED=no
In any case, it had those errors previously and they didn't interfere with the functioning of the machine.

Anybody know why the more recent kernel has RPC issues? These might be specific to this model machine, some driver issue. The machine is:

Dell PowerEdge T310
Intel Xeon X3470 @2.93Ghz, Stepping 5.
Embedded Broadcom 5716 NIC 1
Embedded Broadcom 5716 NIC 2

Also, why are there no time stamps in boot.log??? Am I the only one who thinks that information would be useful?

Thanks.