Boot problem after installing KDE GUI

Issues related to applications and software problems
andersondj

Boot problem after installing KDE GUI

Post by andersondj » 2019/01/08 22:34:01

I have successfully carried out a "Minimum" clean install of Centos 7.

I then proceeded to install the KDE desktop GUI followed by the command "systemctl set-default graphical.target" and re-booted.

During the re-boot the system froze on the message "Started GNOME Display Manager".

The only way I can boot into a KDE environment is to intercept the Grub command when booting up and add the parameter 3 to the linux16 record which I understand tells the system to do a level 3 boot.

This brings up a command line login.

After logging in I run the startx command which which puts me into the KDE desktop environment.

I would be grateful if someone could advise me what steps I need to take in order to do an orderly boot into KDE without having to go through the steps described above.

Please note:

The graphics is an onboard ATI Radeon X1250 base.

I have successfully carried out a similar installation using Centos 6.10.

Regards,

David Anderson
Loughborough
UK

desertcat

Re: Boot problem after installing KDE GUI

Post by desertcat » 2019/01/10 20:38:18

andersondj wrote:
2019/01/08 22:34:01
I have successfully carried out a "Minimum" clean install of Centos 7.

I then proceeded to install the KDE desktop GUI followed by the command "systemctl set-default graphical.target" and re-booted.

During the re-boot the system froze on the message "Started GNOME Display Manager".

The only way I can boot into a KDE environment is to intercept the Grub command when booting up and add the parameter 3 to the linux16 record which I understand tells the system to do a level 3 boot.

This brings up a command line login.

After logging in I run the startx command which which puts me into the KDE desktop environment.

I would be grateful if someone could advise me what steps I need to take in order to do an orderly boot into KDE without having to go through the steps described above.

Please note:

The graphics is an onboard ATI Radeon X1250 base.

I have successfully carried out a similar installation using Centos 6.10.

Regards,

David Anderson
Loughborough
UK
There are a couple things that come to mind the Minimal Install is probably the first place to look. You can solve this problem by simply installing KDE -- yum groupinstall "KDE Plasma Workspaces" .

The other thing that comes to mind as a result of doing the minimal install there simply no GUI pre-selected, and you need to select one at the login page. To start KDE -- assuming you get to a login page -- depends on if you have GDM as your display manager -- you can tell this if you have a white bar going across the top of the page in which case on the the right side you will see a bunch on symbols, the LEFT symbol changes the Desktop Environment (DE). Click on this and it will give you a drop down menu of the various DE that might be loaded -- GNOME, KDE, Cinnamon, etc. Look for the one that says KDE and click on it, then enter your secret sauce password and it should come up in KDE.

OTOH if you have NO white bar across the top then you should see a GEAR that, if I remember correctly, will be below the user ID that asks for your password. Click on it and again look through the various DE and look for one called KDE click on it, then enter your secret sauce password and it should come up in KDE.