KDE Discover

Issues related to applications and software problems
firasR

KDE Discover

Post by firasR » 2019/01/11 15:32:27

Hi folks,

New/returning user to Linux here. I'm going through a Linux+ course and picked CentOS 7.6 as my starting distro. I installed KDE 4.14.8 through the installer, and I can't seem to find the Discover software center anywhere. I've search yum for different variations of kde discover plasma-discover but can't find it. Is it not available for CentOS?

Much appreciated.

desertcat

Re: KDE Discover

Post by desertcat » 2019/01/12 03:23:29

firasR wrote:
2019/01/11 15:32:27
Hi folks,

New/returning user to Linux here. I'm going through a Linux+ course and picked CentOS 7.6 as my starting distro. I installed KDE 4.14.8 through the installer, and I can't seem to find the Discover software center anywhere. I've search yum for different variations of kde discover plasma-discover but can't find it. Is it not available for CentOS?

Much appreciated.
Well that is a new one on me. I am a KDE user from way back and have never heard of "Discover". Having just researched it I *think* It may -- or may not -- have been supplanted via various other functions that essentially do the same thing as "Discover":

1) On the far left hand side of the panel is something called the Launcher, if you click on this it gives you a drop down menu that shows you all the apps that are installed and they are broken down by groups -- internet, games, administration, graphics, etc.

2) If you go to the far right hand side of the panel and right click and unlock widgets, click on the "Cashew", then click on "Add widgets" it will give you a full list if new widgets -- apps -- that can be added, also by group.

3) If you know the name of an app you can skip it all by simply running yum install name -of-app.

I *suspect* that the reason "Discover" is not found is simply because it is redundant. Anyone who is halfway competent and knowledgeable about KDE knows how and where to find apps that are already installed, where additional apps they may want to install can be found, or how to install new apps that are not listed, via the use of either the the yum install, and/or yum grouplist / yum groupinstall. commands

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2019/01/12 15:44:48

I don't use KDE but I went looking and I wonder if 'discover' is actually from a newer version of KDE than we ship. We ship KDE 4.x and there is a whole new KDE 5 which dates from around 2014 (CentOS 7 was built and tested prior to its release in June 2014). Due to the way that RHEL works, things are generally fixed in time to the version that was current at the time of the initial x.0 release as any fixes/enhancements/security fixes are then backported from the newer code to the version shipped as part of RHEL.

Certainly, running yum provides '*/*plasma-discover*' returns no output on my system except for one GPG key from a package in EPEL that indicates that there might be what's called a COPR repository that supplies a newer KDE.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

tonybKDE

Post by tonybKDE » 2019/01/12 16:19:43

I have CentOS 7.6 at work but run Kubuntu 18.04/Ubuntu Studio at home.

Discover is indeed part of Plasma 5.x (I have 5.12.7). As far as I know it was not included in KDE 4.x versions.

It has had its share of rough edges and been the subject of a lot of criticism over the past few years. I still prefer the native Ubuntu updater. But Discover is constantly improving and at some point soon I expect it will be a viable choice for updates and application installation.

https://userbase.kde.org/Discover

firasR

Post by firasR » 2019/01/12 17:25:17

Thank you Trevor & Tony for the thoughtful answers. I just came to that conclusion yesterday that Discover is part of KDE Plasma 5.x and it seems that by default the latest CentOS 7.6 only comes with KDE 4.x which doesn't include that. I've since switched to GNOME on CentOS since it seems to be better supported on CentOS and does include a package manager by default (GNOME Packages/Software).

Trevor: thanks for the detailed explanation as I was a bit confused why I couldn't get the latest KDE Plasma 5.x to install on CentOS even though it's been released for a few years. That makes sense now.

Tony: I also installed Kubuntu on my other test VM yesterday which has the latest version of KDE Plasma 5.x to see if it came with Discover by default which it did. So I'll stick with KDE on that VM.

Although I am slowly learning how to use the console tools to search for packages, install and update them, the GUI package managers are helpful for easily seeing what's already installed and what's available for installation in an easier to navigate view. Thanks to you both for your help.

vsuvarna

Post by vsuvarna » 2019/12/18 17:43:31

I was able to install KDE 5.15 on CentOS 8 via EPEL, but still couldn't find a way to install KDE Discover. dnf search yielded no matching results.