(Solved) bash script from inside /etc/crontab

Issues related to applications and software problems
lightman47

(Solved) bash script from inside /etc/crontab

Post by lightman47 » 2019/01/13 20:55:01

I have a lot of scripts that are called from /etc/crontab. All work great except a recent one. I'm going to keep this very brief, but all machines run updated CentOS 7.

I have a server that is responsible for waking up a machine (on different days) to run backups, updates, and other chores. This is done via 'ether-wake' statements in the server /etc/crontab and works quite well that way. Because I often wish to wake a machine manually to work on it and not have to remember & type the MAC each time, I wrote a single bash script named wakeup.sh that takes a {machine name} parameter, assigns the appropriate MAC to a variable which is then used with the ether-wake command. The script works beautifully ... well, until I tried to run it from inside /etc/crontab. The script runs fine and without error (verified /var/log/cron), but the appropriate machine doesn't wake up. So, I then included an "echo" in my script

Code: Select all

echo
sudo ether-wake $MAC
echo
echo "Sent wake signal to $machineName at $MAC."
echo
In /etc/crontab (for testing - not shown here), I redirected the script output to a text file. At the appropriate time in crontab (run as root), the text file was created and contained the proper machine name and MAC address.

Question is:
WHY, from /etc/crontab, does it all seem to not work. The very same crontab command pasted to the command line DOES wake the machine!
- crontab entries (with modified MACs and machine names) with my failing/testing entries commented:

# wake-up videoBox for Tues and Sat backup(s)
20 18 * * mon root ether-wake 0a:1b:21:05:f1:17
20 18 * * fri root ether-wake 0a:1b:21:05:f1:17
## 20 18 * * mon root bash /scripts/wakeup.sh videoBox >> /mnt/4tb1/logs/wakeup.log
## 20 18 * * fri root bash /scripts/wakeup.sh videoBox >> /mnt/4tb1/logs/wakeup.log
## TESTING ENTRY
## 35 13 * * * root bash /scripts/wakeup.sh videoBox >> /mnt/4tb1/logs/wakeup.log
What am I missing here? I even tried "quotes" in the crontab.

20 18 * * mon root bash "/scripts/wakeup.sh videoBox"
I feel like something very basic (stupid) is going on here.

Thank you.
Last edited by lightman47 on 2019/01/15 12:29:40, edited 1 time in total.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: bash script from inside /etc/crontab

Post by TrevorH » 2019/01/13 21:04:07

Cron runs things with a very restrictive environment set up. For example, if you cron /usr/bin/env > /tmp/env.txt and then read it once it's run, you'll see that PATH is set to

PATH=/usr/bin:/bin

ether-wake is in /sbin which isn't there. If you intend to run stuff from cron it's good practice to always include the full path to anything you intend to execute.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

lightman47

Re: bash script from inside /etc/crontab

Post by lightman47 » 2019/01/13 21:08:01

Wow - thank you! Will fiddle with this.

EDIT 2019 01 15 -

That was it. Thank you!