Error executing alacarte on CentOS 7

Issues related to applications and software problems
thadc

Error executing alacarte on CentOS 7

Post by thadc » 2019/02/11 15:58:17

Hello,
I have a new clean install of AWS VM running CentOS 7. I wanted the basic capability provided by alacarte. I installed alacarte by executing:

sudo yum install alacarte

The installation seemed fine. When I attempt to execute alacarte, I receive a long series of errors:

(alacarte:9648): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 14:41:52:660: gdk_keymap_get_for_display: assertion "GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
..many more similar to above error before, then

segmentation fault (core dumped)

Other people on my team are using alacarte on their CentOS VM without issues. The only obvious difference between their VM and mine is a different image type. Mine is r5.2xlarge while theirs are t2.2xlarge.

Any insights as to my problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Error executing alacarte on CentOS 7

Post by TrevorH » 2019/02/11 19:14:52

I'm not entirely sure why you'd want to run alacarte on an AWS VM since I presume that is headless and has no display and thus no menu to be edited but...

The error is telling you that $DISPLAY is not set. If you were on a local machine with a display then $DISPLAY would be set for you by the window manager. If you are accessing the machine via ssh then you will need to enable and use X11 Forwarding on both client and server and also make sure that xorg-x11-xauth is installed on the remote end.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke