Understanding php-pear and enabling pecl

Issues related to applications and software problems
drenriza

Understanding php-pear and enabling pecl

Post by drenriza » 2023/06/14 14:28:24

Hi all
I am new on this forum so i hope i am using the correct sub-section to post this.

I have read that installing php-pear will do three things.
1) Extend PHP with additional functionality (PEAR Core Components).
2) Gives access to PEAR packages.
3) Gives access to PECL packages.

My question. If i already have an PHP application running and i install php-pear, will this change anything in my application or other PHP packages?
Or can i install php-pear and keep running my application as is without using the extended features for PHP that this gives?

My goal is to gain access to packages in PECL, since i would like to install php-imagick V. 3.7.0 from this,
and this is the only way so far that i have found to do this.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but i am running an Amazon Linux 2 system.

Thanks to all in advance
Best regards

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Understanding php-pear and enabling pecl

Post by TrevorH » 2023/06/14 15:14:19

I don't know if it makes any difference, but i am running an Amazon Linux 2 system.
It does, Amazon Linux 2 is a completely different operating system that was loosely based on RHEL 7 but is not identical.

If - and it's quite a big IF - Amazon Linux 2 is sufficiently similar to CentOS 7 to be able to the EPEL repo then you can find what you are looking for alredy built and ready to install. You would first need to install the epel-release package to add the EPEL repo.

Code: Select all

[root@centos7 ~]# yum list php\* | grep -i magic
php-magickwand.x86_64                                1.0.9-7.el7           epel 
php-pecl-gmagick.x86_64                              1.1.7-0.2.RC2.el7     epel 
php-pecl-imagick.x86_64                              3.4.4-1.el7           epel
It's the last one you want.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke