Bluetooth devices eventually freeze machine

Issues related to hardware problems
veehexx

Bluetooth devices eventually freeze machine

Post by veehexx » 2017/11/24 19:38:41

i've recently moved one of my HTPC's onto centos7 due to bluetooth issues on the previous ubuntu 16 LTS install. i did have a few other issues with the ubuntu install so instead of spending too long fixing each one i thought i'd use the oportunity to start fresh with it. As such, i didn't look into logs or existing bugs etc with ubuntu.

Unfortunately, the issues persists on centos7. I'm running an intel nuc DN2820FYKH which uses intergrated wifi&BT module (intel wireless-N 7260 according to the nuc spec sheet)

The problem is every 20-30 hours i'll typically loose network connectivity which appears to be caused by the OS semi-freezing up. GUI and console seem to run fine (excluding network access), except when i try to interact with systemctl and ifdown/ifup which just seems to get stuck with no output reguardless of how long i leave it. The loss of network *COULD* be related to DHCP lease (2hours) being unable to renew.

The nuc also goes into s3 sleep overnight and while at work so typically online between 6-10PM

what i've found is it's related to bluetooth somehow. the last two freezes i've experienced i've disconnected all bluetooth devices and the system resumes functionality again. Network returns, service/systemctl can interact with services again and all is well. Bluetooth devices can then be reconnected without immediate issues for another 20-30hours.

every 5 seconds dmesg reports

Code: Select all

power_supply hid-00:04:20:f4:d0:e3-battery: driver failed to report `capacity' property: -5
which is a logitech harmony hub, as a virtual bluetooth keyboard.

systemctl status bluetooth does also show an error

Code: Select all

Can't get HIDP connection info
i cant find much info on if these are related to my freezing up problem but its the only obvious issues i can see.
the centos install started life as minimal, added EPEL repos and installed LXDE along with 'blueberry' bluetooth package to manage BT devices.

what i'm next going to try is disable/enable bluetooth service as the machines goes in and out of S3. not sure if that will help the issue or not, but worth a go.

Any ideas on what the root problem might be? failing hardware, OS bug, missing package...?

veehexx

[solved] Re: Bluetooth devices eventually freeze machine

Post by veehexx » 2017/12/05 19:46:13

I think i've finally got this sussed.
crashing was something bluetooth related so restarting the bluetooth daemon every 5 hours stopped the machine freezing. putting machine into sleep seems to delay how quickly it freezes.

as for the spam in dmesg every 5seconds, this was fixed by upgrading the kernel from the centos7 3.10 kernel, onto epel-kernel's current long-term kernel 4.4.
this would likely explain why a lot of the 'driver failed to report' bluetooth bug references i found were a few years old and nothing newer - every other distro has newer kernel which contained the fixes.

hopefully it's all kernel related and the end of my problems.