HP Chromebook (Falco) Touchpad inoperative, USB mouse works

Issues related to hardware problems
Di W

HP Chromebook (Falco) Touchpad inoperative, USB mouse works

Post by Di W » 2014/10/22 14:22:39

I had read recently a statement within CentOS that it shouldn't need to be compiled to correct for deficiencies of a hardware nature in 99.9% of the possible applications (paraphrased). In the world of desktop applications perhaps that's so, I have witnessed previous editions of CentOS used successfully in such applications.
But I see in looking through recent hardware posts that I'm not the only one suffering the lack of a touch pad function on my laptop with this CentOS7 distro? Apparently we are that 0.1% exception to the first sentence?

My congratulations to the group responsible for this CentOS7, nice looking job! I recognize that my hardware is something of an abomination where standard laptops are concerned. My HP Chromebook 14 (Falco) has the John Lewis BIOS (no Chrome OS) with a 128GB SSD. I intend to make a financial contribution to whichever Linux Distro I end up staying with as that is the moral and ethical response to the use of others contributions! BUT, only that Distro that includes an operational touchpad function and ability to play external DVD's will receive $ from me. If it's any consolation Ubuntu didn't fare any better. . . . and yes there are current linux distro's (Bodhi) that do meet one of the 2 listed criteria.

Please do not misunderstand my intentions here, I would be happy to settle on the use of CentOS (and gladly help with the $) but like any consumer, if it isn't fulfilling the need, well . . .

If you devise patches or updates to correct for the above listed deficiencies I would engage them. Until that time, good luck with CentOS7.

cheers,

DW

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: HP Chromebook (Falco) Touchpad inoperative, USB mouse wo

Post by TrevorH » 2014/10/22 19:04:14

How about you post the output of lspci -nn and lsusb.py and see if your touchpad appears in that. Also the output of grep -i touch /var/log/Xorg.0.log might also help.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

Greg_E

Re: HP Chromebook (Falco) Touchpad inoperative, USB mouse wo

Post by Greg_E » 2014/11/23 21:46:53

Wish I could get an unlocked bios for my Samsung series 5 Intel Chromebook, it would make a nice Linux laptop. Love the hardware, just not thrilled with the Chrome OS.