ASUS M32AD UEFI with GTX 750 video

Issues related to hardware problems
PowellDean

ASUS M32AD UEFI with GTX 750 video

Post by PowellDean » 2015/01/04 06:50:56

Hi:

I have a newly purchased ASUS M32AD desktop computer which came with Windows 8.1 pre-loaded and the full UEFI boot experience. I have gone through the necessary steps to allow dual-booting:
- Disable fast boot
- Disable CSM
- Disable secure boot

The CentOS 7 live CD will now start to boot just fine and I see the following options:
Boot CentOS 7
Verify media and boot CentOS 7
Troubleshoot -->

If I choose option 1 I see a line of Tux penguins and nothing else. Just a black screen. I understand from another post that this is due to video card drivers not being rolled into the general distribution yet. I would like to try the usual 'nomodeset acpi=off' commands to boot the live CD but have no idea where I would enter these. Can someone enlighten me on where I would enter these parameters? I have seen threads in which people say to unplug the RTX 750 video and use the onboard video card. However, I have just had an email from Asus tech support stating there is NO WAY to boot using this card, and offering to RMA it for me. My long-suffering wife is already annoyed this process has taken so long, so that is not an option at this point!

Incidentally, if I choose 'Troubleshoot' I can boot in basic video mode, but this takes me directly to the anaconda installer, which is NOT what I want. I just want to try out CentOS 7 before installing it.

As a follow-up question: Does anyone know if the GeForce GTX 750 will be supported in the future, or did I make a huge mistake buying the Asus if I want to run Linnux as well?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: ASUS M32AD UEFI with GTX 750 video

Post by TrevorH » 2015/01/04 12:11:17

Hit tab on the entry on the menu and you can add options to it before you boot
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke