Install CentOS 7 on SSD -> HP Proliant ML350 Gen9 Server

Issues related to hardware problems
sh4ke

Install CentOS 7 on SSD -> HP Proliant ML350 Gen9 Server

Post by sh4ke » 2015/03/12 11:04:03

Hi everybody,

please, I have a request. I´m trying to install CentOS 7 on 2×SSD discs ->Samsung Pro 850, 128GB (system RAID1), but when install is completed, I´m not able to boot CentOS from SSD.

Disc Structure:

2× 4TB WD Enterprise-class WD4000FYYZ -> RAID1 for data
2× 4TB WD Enterprise-class WD4000FYYZ -> RAID1 for data

Both same raids for DATA.

2× 128GB SSD Samsung Pro 850 -> RAID1 for system

Both data raids are made by HP HW raid controller Smart Array B140i. I was trying to install CentOS on SSD with HW raid and with SW raid too. Both ways were unsuccessful. Installation process is ok, but booting CentOS from SSD is impossible. Even, I try to install CentOS only on one SSD disc (without raid) as a standard installation and result was same. I tried many options to get CentOS on SSD (changing HDD slots and bays, various type of installation, file systems, setting of SW raid. UEFI Bios, firmware updates, older versions of CentOS, etc...). I noticed, that SSD works fine only in some bays. When SSDs are side by side in bay, one SSD is blinking as verified (HDD box) and one SSD no, so as a result it freeze and I must pull out non-blinking SSD to be able to continue. Functional variant was to insert both SSD discs to separately bays -> both discs are verified. I´m not sure, where is the main problem -> if it is in HP disc verification or perhaps in wrong configuration before installing or anything else.

I will be glad, if you give me some advice or help.

Thank you in advance

JJ

biogon28

Re: Install CentOS 7 on SSD -> HP Proliant ML350 Gen9 Server

Post by biogon28 » 2015/03/15 14:45:41

Some sugguestions:
1.UEFI or Legacy?
2.if you use UEFI, you need to create an EFI boot partition during install.
3.if you use Legacy mode, B140i works only on AHCI mode, no RAID.
4.have you ever load the driver of B140i?

sh4ke

Post by sh4ke » 2015/03/16 20:00:44

biogon28 wrote:Some sugguestions:
1.UEFI or Legacy?
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I have tried a both methods. UEFI -> in RAID controller mode was unsuccessful. So, I tried to install it in UEFI AHCI SATA controller mode. It was ok, but I need to utilize HW Raid from HP, no SW solution. Legacy mode isn´t a right result. Driver load seems to be a good idea, so I will try to launch it with this manual for B140i raid controller.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/publ ... cale=en_US

I will let here a result.

Thanks for your help!

JJ.

biogon28

Post by biogon28 » 2015/03/17 02:09:34

sh4ke wrote:
biogon28 wrote:Some sugguestions:
1.UEFI or Legacy?
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I have tried a both methods. UEFI -> in RAID controller mode was unsuccessful. So, I tried to install it in UEFI AHCI SATA controller mode. It was ok, but I need to utilize HW Raid from HP, no SW solution. Legacy mode isn´t a right result. Driver load seems to be a good idea, so I will try to launch it with this manual for B140i raid controller.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/publ ... cale=en_US

I will let here a result.

Thanks for your help!

JJ.

Yes.
P and H class array controller do not need any drivers on Linux(RHEL,CentOS,Suse,Debian).
B series array controller must need driver during installation(use VID or linux dd command).