Using TRIM in CentOS 7.3 with a Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Issues related to hardware problems
desertcat

Using TRIM in CentOS 7.3 with a Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Post by desertcat » 2016/12/21 03:01:44

I am more confused than ever: Yesterday morning I am across something called "TRIM" which is recommended be enabled if you are running Windows on a SSD. So... I went to see if "TRIM" was available for Linux, and specifically CentOS 7.3. Sure enough it does. After a brief consult with my compadre we decided to run the nifty command I found systemctl enable fstrim.timer. Rebooted my machine and was on my Merry Way. My buddy and I have IDENTICAL machines:

ASUS M5A97 R2.0 motherboards, 32 GB RAM AMD FX6300 processors, etc. These are used as light workstations. The only difference: I bought a Samsung 250 GB 850 EVO SSD, which I got on Sale, and he had a Crucial 256 GB M4 SSD, which he just upgraded to a Crucial MX 300 525GB SSD just last week.

Like me he enabled fstrim. All was right with the world. This morning he sent me an email about Samsung SSD's being "Blacklisted", corrupted data and data lost, etc. most having to do with the Samsung 850 PRO. I read nothing about the 850 EVO, but I would assume that any drive made by Samsung -- right or wrong -- is likely to have the same bug. There is a whole lot of finger pointing with fingers pointing every which way so no one knows what to believe. The majority of these articles about TRIM, Linux, and Samsung SSD's were written in 2015. Slashdot then wrote on 30 July 2015 "Samsung, Finds, Fixes Bug In Linux Trim Code", but still the battle rages on with people claiming there were TWO bugs.

So my question to you is: Are Samsung SSD's still "Blacklisted"? Has this TRIM code bug been fixed or not? If NOT is the Samsung 850 EVO SSD affected by this "bug"? We are about 10 days away from the start of 2017, CentOS 7.3 was just released about 1.5 weeks ago running the 3.10.0-514.2.2.el7.x86_64 kernel (the 3.10.0 kernel being one of the affected kernels), and this bug has been known about two years now, so one would think the problem would have been fixed by now, but there is a LOT of conflicting information going up until 6 months ago. Finally while most of the issues deal with SSD's with a LVM partition, my drive is set up with Custom Fixed Partitions. My last fresh install of CentOS 7 was CentOS 7.2 -1511, and maintained. CentOS 7.3 - 1611 was installed by roll-over from 7.2 --> 7.3

Yesterday I ran systemctl enable fstrim.timer to enable TRIM; Today I ran systemctl disable fstrim.timer to disable TRIM until I can get some authoritative information about the TRIM bug and Samsung SSD's and if the bug has been fixed or not. Any help and *clear* guidance you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ghartl3

Re: Using TRIM in CentOS 7.3 with a Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Post by ghartl3 » 2017/07/24 00:23:42

any new info about the situation ?

greets gunter