Dual Graphics Controller Issue

Issues related to hardware problems
dcrdev

Dual Graphics Controller Issue

Post by dcrdev » 2017/08/16 17:14:34

I'm experiencing a weird issue with dual graphics -

I have a server motherboard that has a built in graphics controller manufactured by ASPeed, the built in controller is there to support IPMI/KVM functionality; this controller is directly tied to the VGA port on the motherboard. There is a bios setting that allows you to also enable any integrated graphics controllers for the purpose of hardware acceleration i.e. QuickSync, VAAPI etc...

Having enabled this feature I no longer get an output via VGA - I do for Grub and Plymouth, but once the boot process completes the screen switches off. I suspect that the Kernel is outputting to a phantom display, but I'm not really sure how to handle this because this is a server and is not running Xorg or any kind of graphical environment.

So I don't want to disable the Intel controller because I'd like to use it for VAAPI, but I also don't want to output to it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

dcrdev

Re: Dual Graphics Controller Issue

Post by dcrdev » 2017/08/16 18:48:22

Also curiously if I leave the system powered on for about 10 minutes, then the console starts outputting via vga.

Is there a kernel parameter that disables console output on a specific device?

It seems the root cause of this is the bios is exposing the Intel controller as the primary device - unfortunately there's no way to control this behaviour within the bios.

nycaleksey

Re: Dual Graphics Controller Issue

Post by nycaleksey » 2017/09/14 16:45:56

Hi,

I have a similar problem with Supermicro X11SSM-F-O motherboard. Have you ever found a solution?

Thank you!