I need more sata ports which card to buy?

Issues related to hardware problems
tonysud

I need more sata ports which card to buy?

Post by tonysud » 2017/11/28 11:29:04

My motherboard has 4 sata connectors, I need to add other sata disks
How to understand if a sata pci card is compatible with centos 7 kernel?

desertcat

Re: I need more sata ports which card to buy?

Post by desertcat » 2017/11/30 22:54:32

tonysud wrote:My motherboard has 4 sata connectors, I need to add other sata disks
How to understand if a sata pci card is compatible with centos 7 kernel?
The problem you are likely to run into is Drivers. Most cards will come with a disk of drivers, most are Windows based only, but ElRepo (if I remember correctly) has a ton of drivers for most cards. As a rule of thumb first update your mobo BIOS so you have the latest and greatest version. There are several cards out there that are ONLY SATA, others that have SATA + [ ex. IDE, PATA, etc]. Newegg is a good place to start your search. Most of the cards today are PnP, you will only run into problems if you are installing an OLDER card, but most of the drivers can be found in ElRepo (I think). I just installed two network cards in a 10 year old HP that was put out next to the dumpster. It now runs CentOS 7.4. I put one card in that CentOS did not see but both Linux Mint and Knoppix both found without a problem. I downloaded a driver and CentOS found it without problem. The second card I feared might have the same problem. I inserted it in, started up the machine and much to my surprise CentOS found it right off the bat. As to the card... most cards are built to a standard thus you can buy almost ANY card and have it be compatible, and all cards sold will come with a disk of various drivers, some of the more recent ones may have Linux drivers, but if not try ElRepo (Ithink). *My* rule of thumb is to search Newegg look for the cheapest card I can find, and read the reviews. Anything with 4+ "eggs" (think stars) is usually a safe bet to buy, though I'll also read some of the reviews.