Centos 7.4 not booting after putting new Gigabyte Z370P motherboard

Issues related to hardware problems
jvergara

Centos 7.4 not booting after putting new Gigabyte Z370P motherboard

Post by jvergara » 2018/10/09 21:22:44

Hi all,
I had a Centos 7.4 installation with a 4 year-old Asus motherboard and Intel I3 that I switched to a Gigabyte Z370P motherboard with an Intel I5-8400 processor.

Now, the OS does not boot up and it has the "dracut-initqueue timeout" printed several times.

If I boot in rescue-mode the OS boots up to graphical mode and I am able to navigate.

Does somebody know what to do to fix this issue?

Thanks

Juan C

jlehtone

Re: Centos 7.4 not booting after putting new Gigabyte Z370P motherboard

Post by jlehtone » 2018/10/10 10:20:53

When you install a kernel, a initramfs-file is created too.

When you boot, boot loader loads kernel, kernel loads initramfs as filesystem, kernel loads drivers from that filesystem, and then kernel mounts the normal filesystems with the help of those drivers.

The install/rescue-kernels initramfs contains plenty of drivers. The initramfs created with kernel package installation has only the "necessary" drivers.

One should be able to mount the regular filesystems in the rescue and (re)install some kernel package (version). (If no network is available, then recreate initramfs for one of the installed kernels.)

Obligatory reminder: nobody should have "7.4" any more. Everybody should have let yum to update to "7.5"-based packages.