sane-find-scanner finds USB scanner, scanimage -L does not

Issues related to hardware problems
someotherguy

sane-find-scanner finds USB scanner, scanimage -L does not

Post by someotherguy » 2018/10/24 20:53:25

sane-find-scanner tells me:
found USB scanner (vendor=0x0a9 [Canon], product= 0x220e [CanoScan] at libusb:001:002

However scanimage -L gives me "No scanners were identified....."

running sane-find-scanner in verbose mode gives me a long list of attributes of the scanner, but, after checking several possibilities, says:
<Couldn't determine the type of USB chip (result from sane-backends 1.0.24)>

I suspect the failure to identify the scanner's USB chip is the root of the scanimage detection problem. According to the SANE supported device webpage, my CanoScan N24OU has complete support via the plustek 0.52 backend, and according to the Centos 7 man page for sane-plustek, the scanner uses an LM9833 ASIC, which sane-find-scanner -v -v does not list as one of the ones it checks for.

Is there any way to force SANE to check for the correct chip and/or use the plustek backend? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

MartinR

Re: sane-find-scanner finds USB scanner, scanimage -L does not

Post by MartinR » 2018/10/24 22:15:21

I've had a Cannon LiDE 220 for a year or so and it is a nearly useless heap of junk. I understand that a later version of Sane (probably under CentOS 8) may make it earn its keep, but for the moment the only use I have for it is to prop up a couple of tablets when they are being charged. You can find 3rd party software that either watermarks or costs nearly as much as the scanner. Cannon's attitude seems to be "you run Linux - !"£$% off".

splang

Post by splang » 2018/10/25 12:07:08

As far as I know canon uses a custom linux package - I have a canon mg3250 printer/scanner WiFi enable printer which uses packages :-

scangearmp-common-2.00-1.x86_64.rpm
scangearmp-mg3200series-2.00-1.x86_64.rpm

These come from the Canon support site and allow use of /usr/local/bin/scangearmp command for scanning. It is just possible that the above may work for your scanner ( I really do not know if it would work with your device - but hey it's worth a try!)

However having just checked the Canon support pages for the LiDE 220 - there is nothing for Linux, however there are drivers for MAC - which may be of some help.

I'm afraid that Canon have on this occasion forsaken Linux.

I hope that my reply may open the door to other contributors who may be able to steer you in the right direction.

Good Hunting

someotherguy

Post by someotherguy » 2018/10/25 16:32:12

FWIW, Canon support for Windows isn't great either. They do not have a driver for the CanoScan N124OU that works under Windows 10. I had been using it on an old laptop that ran Windows XP, which recently died. Since I had recently built a Linux server, I searched to see if the scanner might work under Linux, and it looked like it should. However actually getting it to do so has turned into an odyssey. In retrospect, I should have just bought a new scanner with Windows 10 drivers, but having invested significant time and effort into getting it to work under Linux, and as stubborn as I am, I hate to admit defeat and give up.

Since my original post I have commented out everything in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf except the network driver and plutek to try to force scanimage to use plustek, to no avail. I've tried several different variations on specifying the scanner in /etc/sane.d/plustek.conf, but with no joy so far. Next I'll probably try modifying /etc/sane.d/canon_dr.conf and enabling it in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf.

someotherguy

Post by someotherguy » 2018/10/27 17:36:11

More info:

From the Centos 7.0 man page for plustek,
https://www.unix.com/man-page/centos/5/sane-plustek/

FILES

/etc/sane.d/plustek.conf
The backend configuration file

/usr/lib64/sane/libsane-plustek.a
The static library implementing this backend.

/usr/lib64/sane/libsane-plustek.so
The shared library implementing this backend (present on systems that support dynamic loading).

On my system I'm seeing /etc/sane.d/plustek.conf but /usr/lib64/sane is empty. I don't know if this is the root of my problem or not, but it is suspicious. Anyone know where I can find this (these) files to copy and paste?

someotherguy

Post by someotherguy » 2018/11/02 16:09:57

Solved:
I got the answer in response to posting a plea for help on the sane-devel mailing list. I assumed that libusb sane-backends contained everything needed, but installing sane-backends-drivers-scanners was required to get scanimage -L to detect my scanner.

VVK

Post by VVK » 2020/08/01 20:14:50

Thanks @someotherguy!

Sorry for reviving this thread, but looked for an answer for a long time and this is basically the issue. You need:

sudo yum install sane-backends-drivers-scanners

to get it working for me (Epson Perfection 2580).

Regards,

VVK