Everett

Problems with routing

Post by Everett » 2015/04/25 22:09:54

I've just installed a new supermicro 1u server:
Supermicro 510T-200B chassis
Supermicro X10SLL-F mainboard
Intel Xeon E3-1230lV3
1 x Kingston 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz ECC

It's a replacement for a Scientic Linux computer doing the routing between 3 subnets (2 internal, 1 external). External subnet is on eno1, internal subets on two vlan's, eno2.2 and 2.3.

The only routes defined are the default gateway via eno1 and routes between the two subnets via eno2.2 and eno2.3.

Everything seems to work; pinging and browsing across the subnets is fine, iperf between either subnet and the new server in both directions is at line speed and without any errors or retries. Smb to and from the server is also fine in both directions from both subnets. Simultaneous tranfers in both directions on both subnets are also fine; same is true for iperf on both subnets simultaneously.

BUT anytime we try to transfer larger amounts of data between subnets (SMB) the network becomes unresponsive and the copy fails, usually after having copied anywhere between 10mb and 3gb. Iperf between two computers in the internal networks (over the two vlans) is also inconsistent. It will work for several minutes at wire speed (though with occasional retries), and then throughput may drop to 0 for many seconds with hundreds of retries before coming back up to wirespeed or something in between. Any other connections to the server (ssh) is also inconsistent while data is being transferred between the subnets. I see nothing reported in the logs; there are no errors reported on the switch, and no drops in ifconfig. I've run the tests with and without IPTABLES enabled; no difference. There's very little running on the server; no gui, only vsftpd, smb (1 share), dnsmasq, webmin. CPU load stays around 99% idle on all tests.

Any ideas? I'm tearing my hair out on this one!

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Everett

gerald_clark

Re: Problems with routing

Post by gerald_clark » 2015/04/25 22:51:32

You didn't identify the NICs you are using.
Please post the output of 'lspci -nn |grep net"

Everett

Re: Problems with routing

Post by Everett » 2015/04/26 10:07:58

Hello Gerald,

I'm not near the server right now, and don't have the vpn up yet, but the two NICs are:
1x Intel® i217LM & 1x Intel® i210AT

Everett