Samba issues - Help would be appreciated :)

Issues related to configuring your network
thingamajig

Samba issues - Help would be appreciated :)

Post by thingamajig » 2014/10/07 12:30:08

Hey Guys,

So a lil bit about myself. First off I'm new to the forums :) (been perusing but not going on) anyway so I have been mucking with tech since I can remember then I discovered this magical thing for servers called linux, needless to say I've been hooked since. Unfortunately due to time issues etc I have only been able to dabble in it. So after some time with various flavours including but not limited to. Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, Mint, among others and of course CentOS :P. So yeah basically I decided to stick with CentOS and learning it properly since it is the most stable I've come across plus programming/using IDE's seems to be a breeze.

Anyway to my issue with samba. Basically I have a dedicated box that I wish to run as a samba server unfortunately it just doesn't wish to co-operate no matter what I try. I am running a brand new install of CentOS 7 minimal on it. With a very BASIC config of for samba (like anonymous kind of basic or at least it was since secure or anonymous have made no effect) anyway so whether I try and surf via the ip to the share or try and go via the host name from windows both throw errors specifically not being able to find the host. here are some links I have tried with articles:

http://www.howtoforge.com/samba-server- ... n-centos-7
http://lintut.com/how-to-install-webmin-on-centos-7/ (yes even via webmin)
http://www.webmin.com/samba-howto.html

Config file below:

[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
server string = Samba
netbios name = zeus
security = user
map to guest = bad user
dns proxy = no
#============================ Share Definitions ==============================
[entertainment]
path = /samba/entertainment
valid users = @entertainment <=====(I have tried this via group and single user however I don't even get a chance to connect in the first place to even use credentials)
guest ok = no
writable = yes
browsable = yes

I am keen to try and do this via command line

I have also tried:

disabling iptables + firewalld + SElinux still to no effect I even edited the hosts file still to no avail (on Windows and CentOS) I'm beginning to suspect it might be my router and switch...but I'm not sure anyone have any advice here they can lend a...somewhat noob? Any help is greatly appreciated. Also I'm still learning and I consider myself a beginner but yeah any advice would help TONS :)

Cheers

thingamajig

Re: Samba issues - Help would be appreciated :)

Post by thingamajig » 2014/10/08 04:20:09

Bump - Anyone...?

thingamajig

Post by thingamajig » 2014/10/16 08:21:27

Thanks for the manual I will have a read (still reading actually due to time issues lol) ...though I do wonder this being Redhat documentation wouldn't Centos be a little behind in terms of the commands here?

Also I did notice that the first answer I got was a read the manual form of answer (while very useful I might add :D as I didn't think to try the redhat docco's). It leads me to believe that maybe there is more that I should have done before asking the question...I read the rules of the forum before joining (sorry if I missed one). I did search the forums (yeah I know it can be a pet peeve when someone asks a question and doesn't search the forum first) so it seems maybe there is more that I could have done that would be help you guys to answer the question? So through some googling I found this article

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro

^^would this be the kind of thing you would see first before asking a question?

Sorry to sound ignorant I am just genuinely curious and wanting to learn :P

rhagu

Post by rhagu » 2014/10/16 11:06:31

you might want to run testparm, it will check some aspects of your smb.conf, I am not sure, whether centos has it, worth a try though

thingamajig

Post by thingamajig » 2014/10/16 11:23:22

Yeah I did run testparm (Centos does have it) i didn't see any errors in my config at all, it did spit out the exact same config I started the post with would it normally throw errors? Also I am curious but does Samba have error logs turned on by default? I know Apache does and (while I check the manual) where are these logs normally located on a Centos 7 box? It might shed some answers...

thingamajig

Post by thingamajig » 2014/10/16 11:38:28

I'll post a step by step of what I have done tomorrow night so you guys can scrutinize it more :)

thingamajig

Post by thingamajig » 2014/11/12 11:43:06

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the late reply. Took a while basically the issue was me not opening the correct udp ports (specifically 137 and 138) in order to allow Samba to pass through correctly now that that is fixed I am using samba Happily :)

Thanks guys