Recommendation of whether to use “NetworkManager” or “Networ

Issues related to configuring your network
krs4keshara

Recommendation of whether to use “NetworkManager” or “Networ

Post by krs4keshara » 2014/11/01 05:45:17

I have seen many recommendation, even from redhat instractors, indicating that it is better to use Network service instead of using NetworkManager for network related configaration. But, as the release of Centos7/Redhat7, I can see a huge improvement in NetworkManager, where it is now even possible to connect to a wireless network in a simple manner. Further, in my point of view, as the releases roll on, I think CentOS/Redhat development group themselves are pushing users to use the NetworkManager.

Now, what my question is, is it ok to use NetworkManager for redhat related exams for network related configuration? and are we seeing a possibility of deprecating Network-service in future.

scottro
Forum Moderator

Re: Recommendation of whether to use “NetworkManager” or “Ne

Post by scottro » 2014/11/01 12:23:24

They will almost certainly deprecate it. I have no idea about the exams, but judging from past performance, RH will probably eventually make it NetworkManager or nothing, and make it difficult to find the documentation for those preferring command line. There actually is a command line version of NetworkManager.

I'm one of those people who dislike it and also snicker when people point out that RedHat is an anagram of hatred, so take my comments with a grain of salt.
New users should check the FAQ and Read Me First pages

aks

Re: Recommendation of whether to use “NetworkManager” or “Ne

Post by aks » 2014/11/01 15:37:06

Hatred. LOL!