Trying to install a second NIC for a second net interface

Issues related to configuring your network
MarkEHansen

Trying to install a second NIC for a second net interface

Post by MarkEHansen » 2014/11/27 20:39:07

I've been running CentOS for some time and am currently running 5.11. I would like to upgrade to CentOS 7.0.
I put together a new machine and installed the 'minimal' installation and was able to get the first network card configured (done during the installation step) and it is working (the machine is on my local network).

However, this machine is intended to replace my primary 'bastian' box, which connects my home network to my ISP. This connection is done using a second NIC. On my current machine, the local network was on eth0 and the ISP network was on eth1. I understand that the names have changed.

I've added the second network card to the machine and when I run "nmcli d", I see them both there:

Code: Select all

DEVICE  TYPE      STATE        CONNECTION
  enp2s0  ethernet  connected    enp2s0
  enp5s5  ethernet  unavailable  --
  lo      loopback  unmanaged    --
enp2s0 is the local network, which is working, enp5s5 is the new card which I want to connect to the network from the ISP. I can't get this to work.

For my ISP connection, I need it to be static IP and I need to provide a MACADDR (they use this to recognize me and allow me to connect to them). I copied the configuration from the ifcfg-eth1 script from my current machine to the ifcfg-enp5s5 script on the new machine and transferred the incoming Ethernet cable to the network card on the new machine, but it fails to come up.

Note that if I run nmtui, and then select Edit a connection, the first connection is shown (enp2s0) but the second one is not. I'm guessing something else is missing.

Is there more I need to do to get this second interface to come up?

Here is the content of the /etc/sysconfig/network-script/ifcfg-enp5s5 script on the new machine (the X.Y.Z. address is a modified version of my actual public IP address):

Code: Select all

HWADDR=E8:CC:18:E8:5E:D6
TYPE=Ethernet
BOOTPROTO=none
DEFROUTE=yes
PEERDNS=no
PEERROUTES=yes
IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=no
IPV6INIT=yes
IPV6_AUTOCONF=yes
IPV6_DEFROUTE=yes
IPV6_PEERDNS=no
IPV6_PEERROUTES=yes
IPV6_FAILURE_FATAL=no
NAME=enp5s5
UUID=552c0719-5a1a-4a16-b22e-80f61795acff
ONBOOT=yes

DEVICE=enp5s5
MACADDR=00:40:F4:04:C8:3C
IPADDR=X.Y.Z.61
NETWORK=X.Y.Z.0
NETMASK=255.255.255.128
GATEWAY=X.Y.Z.1
BROADCAST=X.Y.Z.255

MarkEHansen

Re: Trying to install a second NIC for a second net interfac

Post by MarkEHansen » 2014/11/27 20:51:49

As I was posing the above, I noticed a typo in one of the values. After correcting that, the network comes up. I still can't get through it, but I think this is a firewall (iptables) issue, so I'm going to attack that next.

Thanks for all that looked!