Inconsistent speed out of wireless USB adapter

Issues related to configuring your network
jferristx

Inconsistent speed out of wireless USB adapter

Post by jferristx » 2015/04/21 20:01:07

I am running Centos 7 on a Dell Inspiron 1545. The internal wifi is turned off, I have a TP-Link WN723N USB adapter installed, connecting to a TP Link 600N (WDN3200) router. During install, Centos found the adapter and the correct Realtek driver for the chipset, setup was quick and I connected at 150meg. However, as I use the machine, it will suddenly drop to 15meg speed (causing browser/repositories to drop off line). Turning Airplane mode on, then off, or turning wireless off then on will reset the adapter and restore it to 150meg speed. It also appears that if I am browsing with a lot of page refreshing or changing pages frequently, it seems to hold speed longer.

I would appreciate a suggestion as to where to begin to look to stabilize this. I have multiple devices attaching to this router (tablets, laptops, desktops, phones) and it has performed without issue for the past year. I'm also curious if there is an applet or something that I can install that does real-time monitoring of the connection so I can see it without having to constantly refresh the network settings to see my connection speed.
Thanks

aks

Re: Inconsistent speed out of wireless USB adapter

Post by aks » 2015/04/22 16:25:25

I'm not familiar with you particular hardware, but my first port of call would be updating firmware.
Next I'd switch off ALL wireless expect the PC to see if it's due to interference. If it is, allocate change channels appropriately. For some hints see: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/wireless-f ... reception/
Turning airplane mode on and off should just "reset" the wireless and it would re-negotiate it's speed etc. with the AP.
It sounds like an interference kind of thing. Personally in the past (quite some time ago now), I've used kismet to map the wireless footprint - there are probably better (read: easier) tools available by now - use Google.
BTW, does 150meg mean 150Mbps?