Config problem with afterwards added network interface

Issues related to configuring your network
lgs-it

Config problem with afterwards added network interface

Post by lgs-it » 2015/04/27 09:23:23

Hello,

for testing purposes, I've installed a CentOS 7 x64 (minimal install) into a virtual machine with one network interface. Works fine and I can connect to my network, as expected.

Later I added another one (to have two network interfaces in the same machine). So far so good. I've shut down the system, added another interface to the VM and started it again. Network interface #1 still works fine as before (as it should be) and I can see both devices in the output of lspci, so the virtual hardware exists.

Unfortunately, there is no ethernet config file inside /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. I have no idea how I can configure that interface without that config file. Btw., I'm using the network service and entirely removed NetworkManager.

I also read inside a forum that installing kmod-forcedeth should solve the problem; but it did not.

With CentOS 6 x64 this problem does not exist.

I used RHEL and CentOS with pleasure for a very long time (still have a lot of machines running version 6). But version 7 disappointed me quite a lot so far. :(
Rhetorical question: Why are essential packages such as net-tools providing ifconfig not installed by default? That's awful. :shock:

Thanks in advance.

aks

Re: Config problem with afterwards added network interface

Post by aks » 2015/04/27 17:45:36

Yeah, there's a whole bunch of changes in CentOS 7. You should be using the ip suite of commands, rather than ifconfig. You should also be using ss in place of netstat.
NetworkManager is swiftly becoming *the way* for connectivity in CentOS - I think mainly because of the systemd stuff.
The forcedeth is a kernel module (in Windows terms a "device driver") for nvidia oriented motherboards - I think it was for a Marvell NIC, so it's unlikely that your virtual hardware emulates that.
I just kind of think "embrace the new way", 'cause it's not going back, or stop using/supporting CentOS.

lgs-it

Re: Config problem with afterwards added network interface

Post by lgs-it » 2015/04/28 10:14:53

Thanks for your answer!
You should be using the ip suite of commands, rather than ifconfig. You should also be using ss in place of netstat.
Thanks for the advice. :)
I only used ip for adding routes before.
NetworkManager is swiftly becoming *the way* for connectivity in CentOS - I think mainly because of the systemd stuff.
In the past I also got rid of it, but if it is the new way, I will have to accept it.
The forcedeth is a kernel module (...) so it's unlikely that your virtual hardware emulates that.
I see.
I just kind of think "embrace the new way", 'cause it's not going back, or stop using/supporting CentOS
No, I will still use RHEL and its derivates, because they have been very reliable so far. I also have some Debian derivates running which also are very reliable. Nevertheless, I will keep both distro types. I just need to readjust to the new functionality as well as changes and adjust the documentations.

Thanks a lot!