Intel I218V Driver Issues

Issues related to configuring your network
daviddavis83

Intel I218V Driver Issues

Post by daviddavis83 » 2016/10/19 12:53:18

I have searched the forums and I have seen there are several posts about ethernet driver issues but I have not found my specific issue. I did a fresh install of Centos7 a few weeks ago and everything went smoothly, except when I connected to the internet. When I first connected the speed of the connection was so slow it took five minutes to load google. Also all the devices connected to the same modem slowed to a halt. I found out that there is an intel driver e1000e that is for my motherboard (Asrock z97 Extreme4). I downloaded the module and installed it. At first everything was great, my ping was at 27ms and I went to youtube and played a video in a flash. Problem is after that first video the same thing happened. I installed nethogs to see if there was a major drain somewhere but only google chrome was up and the download rate was down to 2kb/s. I'm still researching this issue but any help would be appreciated.

On another note, if restart the network the download speed jumps up for a couple minutes then slowly decreases. If that leads to any other answer.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Intel I218V Driver Issues

Post by TrevorH » 2016/10/19 13:56:35

The e1000e driver is supplied by the CentOS kernel packages, you should not need to download and install it. Did you use ELRepo for the newer version?
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

daviddavis83

Re: Intel I218V Driver Issues

Post by daviddavis83 » 2016/10/20 18:59:03

I downloaded the latest version from the intel website. I didn't realize it came with Centos already, it would explain why installing the new driver didn't solve the issue. http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ ... 05480.html is where I obtained the driver. When i use the ethtool -i command the version is the latest.