LinkSYS WUSB6300 (Realtek RTL8812AU) showing as wired

Issues related to configuring your network
Spork Schivago

LinkSYS WUSB6300 (Realtek RTL8812AU) showing as wired

Post by Spork Schivago » 2017/08/15 17:51:51

Hello,

I have a USB wireless NIC. It's a LinkSYS WUSB6300 (AC1200). It uses the Realtek RTL8812AU chipset. I downloaded, compiled, and inserted the following module: https://github.com/gnab/rtl8812au

I was hoping it'd just work. I'm running CentOS 7 1611 Final. The module sees the device and everything. However, in Gnome, it's showing up as a Wired device, not wireless. I've read a bit about this on the internet. I've searched the forums here. I found, on this forum, someone who had the same chipset and problem,but no solutions.

I found on the net, a lot of people who have this chipset have the same issues. Someone said it was a problem with how udev named the interface. Could this be true?

I found a Gentoo page that tells how to get support for this chip, using that same module, but options in the kernel need to be changed, and I really don't want to have to custom compile a kernel, if I don't have to.

Here's a link to the Gentoo page, if you want to see what kernel options they say need to be enabled for this specific chipset:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/AC1200_Wir ... figuration

I compared it to the options that were in /usr/src/kernel/3.10.0-514.el7.x86_64/.config and there's a couple discrepancies. cfg80211 - Wireless configuration API is currently configured as a module, but I don't see that causing any problems. The Generic IEEE 802.11 Networking Stack (mac80211) wasn't selected at all though, and I wonder if I really do need to custom compile the kernel. I believe I just have the kernel development headers, so maybe I cannot grab the current kernel configuration from that .config file. I don't have a /proc/config.gz file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
-- Niklaus Wirth's Law: software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster.