Help creating a nameserver

Issues related to configuring your network
rev

Help creating a nameserver

Post by rev » 2017/10/21 05:09:10

Hi, I've been told by my hosting company that I have to provide my own nameservers for my VPS (centos 7). I'm a linux admin noob, so I don't really know what the correct approach is. I've followed this tutorial on setting up BIND, but it's unclear to me whether that is for internal nameservers or ones that provide the service for the external web. I've implemented everything from that tutorial (except reverse lookups) and there's no errors, however my site is still unreachable by it's domain name. It's been about 24 hours since I did it. What makes me think that there is some problem is that the browser seems to try harder to connect to it and takes it's time, whereas before it very quickly announced that it couldn't find a server at my domain name.

Regarding the reverse lookups, in the tutorial he has a subnet. However, I only have the one server on the one IP, so I didn't know how to translate the tutorial to my situation. I have a second IP, although no documentation of any sort from the hosting company as to what I can do with it. I assume it could be used for a second nameserver, but I don't have any ssh login details to connect to it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

thomas95670

Re: Help creating a nameserver

Post by thomas95670 » 2017/10/24 08:46:13

Hello,

if you build your own DNS server, you have to mention his as NS for your domain.

You want that your website will be reachable for everyone on Internet or only internal user ?

Plz provide your domain name.

Thomas

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Help creating a nameserver

Post by TrevorH » 2017/10/24 10:03:33

I'd recommend that you use one of the many dns providers instead. Running a DNS server is, well not complicated but it requires knowledge of all the things that can go wrong. Doing it properly also requires that you have two servers on different subnets and preferably in different data centres.

There are many DNS providers who will host your domain for you. They already have multiple locations and will be experienced in setting it up so there's no DDoS risk (DNS servers are easily exploited to be part of a DDoS network if not set up correctly).
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke