[SOLVED] CentOS 7 as a network switch

Issues related to configuring your network
LeeCook

[SOLVED] CentOS 7 as a network switch

Post by LeeCook » 2017/12/01 13:47:16

Hi,

I've very limited Linux experience and I've been struggling with brctl commands and ifcfg files for days and nothing I try seems to work. I think I'm missing some step.

I have a number of embedded products within an industrial system which have, among other things, an i7 processor with four ethernet connections. Rather than having to pay to buy and integrate an industrial switch I would like to use one of the unused i7s to run CentOS acting as a switch for the other processors in the system.

Could someone please give me, or point me to, some detailed instructions on how to achieve this please?

Thank you in advance,
Lee
Last edited by LeeCook on 2017/12/11 12:07:24, edited 1 time in total.

LeeCook

Re: CentOS 7 as a network switch

Post by LeeCook » 2017/12/11 12:05:55

It turns out I wasn't doing anything wrong it was something to do with the multiple VirtualBox VM machine environment. No matter which configuration I tried in VirtualBox I could not get the three VMs (two normal machines and a one configured as a switch) to play nice together.

I finally gave up and, a last ditch attempt , put the effort in to getting it on to actual hardware for where it worked as expected first time!