VMM + OVS Error creating macvtap interface ~ Device or resource busy

Issues related to configuring your network
NoctisLucisCaelum

VMM + OVS Error creating macvtap interface ~ Device or resource busy

Postby NoctisLucisCaelum » 2018/01/24 08:28:18

Hello, thanks for your attention.

I would like to request support for a simple implementation (I believe) that is giving me a nasty time (thanks to OVS esoteric documentation).

I have created 7 Virtual Machines using CentOS Virtual Machine Manager (v1.4.1) and want to connect them all to an OpenVSwitch (v2.5.2/DB Schema 7.12.1) for SDN purposes.

I installed OpenVSwitch following this very useful guide: https://gist.github.com/umardx/a31bf6a1 ... ca33133834

And later on I deployed and OVS bridge with 7 vports to each one of the Virtual Machines that I want to control its traffic. I followed this very clear guide on how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYW7kQRyUvA . I must mention that I skipped the configuration of linking the eht0 interface to the "mybridge" since I do not want my VM to have access to the "outside".

I did not encounter any issue while following the previous two guides, but when I try to start any of the 7 virtual machines I get the following error (copy from a particular VM):

Error starting domain: error creating macvtap interface macvtap0@vport6 (52:54:00:38:63:68): Device or resource busy

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 88, in cb_wrapper
callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 124, in tmpcb
callback(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/libvirtobject.py", line 83, in newfn
ret = fn(self, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/domain.py", line 1489, in startup
self._backend.create()
File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 1039, in create
if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virDomainCreate() failed', dom=self)
libvirtError: error creating macvtap interface macvtap0@vport6 (52:54:00:38:63:68): Device or resource busy

So far I've tried cloning one of the VMs to see if the issue could have been because I added the interface after the VM was created, but wit no success.

I would like to kindly request advice/support for this error. I appreciate in advance your feedback, and apologize if I have posted this in the wrong category of the forum.