Configuring more than one gateway through /etc/sysconfig/nework-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Issues related to configuring your network
Spork Schivago

Configuring more than one gateway through /etc/sysconfig/nework-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Post by Spork Schivago » 2018/05/06 19:31:35

Hello,

I need to have NetworkManager turned off. I have to configure my IP settings manually. I have a lot of IPv6 addresses, and two IPv4 addresses. I have three FQDN. One gets one IPv4 address and a IPv6 address. The other two share an IPv4 address but get seperate IPv6 addresses.

Anyways, I'm trying to configure multiple default gateways, for redundancy. One gateway is something like 49.36.71.1 The other gateway is 169.114.13.1

Because these gateways are on different subnets, would that be a bad idea? If it's not a bad idea, how would I accomplish this task? The ifcfg-eth0 file has a note not to use an integer after GATEWAY, so GATEWAY0, GATEWAY1, etc is not an option it seems.

Thanks!
-- Niklaus Wirth's Law: software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster.

Spork Schivago

Re: Configuring more than one gateway through /etc/sysconfig/nework-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Post by Spork Schivago » 2018/05/27 10:34:04

Sorry for such the long delay in responding. Lot of work that needs to still get done around here.

I rent a VPS. That VPS has multiple gateways, however, sometimes devices on the internet become the target of malicious people and bad things like DDoSes happen. I just wanted some redundancy, one physical NIC (or a couple virtual), pointing to all the various gateways my VPS provider supplies me with. That way, if something happens to one, traffic just moves through another. Or if one gets bogged down, traffic is going through multiple gateways to reach my VPS. I believe the load balancing part of the first link you sent me to is what I'm talking about there.
-- Niklaus Wirth's Law: software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster.