Shared folder from CentOS 7 VM to Win Server 2016 VM on the same Xen server

Issues related to configuring your network
karabarabon

Shared folder from CentOS 7 VM to Win Server 2016 VM on the same Xen server

Post by karabarabon » 2018/08/31 01:24:10

Greeting!

I faced an issue...

I have a server with XenCenter 6.5 installed.
And there I have two VMs:
1: Base CentOS 7 with no GUI;
2: Windows Server 2016 VM.

And my goal is to make a certain folder on CentOS VM visible and accessible for Windows VM.

Read multiple arcticles, installed and configured Samba, added it to Firewall exceptions, etc. Did everything recommended.

But on Windows VM I do not see CentOS VM via network. Cannot connect to it via Hostname. But the connection via IP is working.

Also, I correctly configured Samba to make CentOS folder as writeable and readable for the guest users without login and password. But, connecting to this folder from Win VM via IP shows only folders to me... I do not see any files and cannot upload any files...

I believe the issue is about network setup:
1: Win VM has default hostname and default WORKGROUP, I did not change them;
2: CentOS VM had "localhost.localdomain" as a default.

I tried several times to change domain, workgroup or domain, to add something to Hosts on the both VM. But nothing help...

Do not understand the root cause of this issue and do not have any new idea what to do now.

Hope, you can help!

But, plese, write advices in form of steps, what I need to exactly on each VM, what to add, what to change...

Thanks in advance!

Sergey

hunter86_bg

Re: Shared folder from CentOS 7 VM to Win Server 2016 VM on the same Xen server

Post by hunter86_bg » 2018/08/31 04:22:39

As far as I remmember Windows support NFS , so why don't you export an NFS share to the Windows and try the outcome.
Don't forget that SELINUX is in enforcing ,by default, so you need to set proper label on the directory exported (just like you did with the samba).It ahould be something like this (based on memory):

Code: Select all

semanage fcontext -a -t "system_u:object_r:nfs_t" "/NFS_SHARE(/.*)?"