How to install Samba on a CentOS 7 system with no internet access?

Issues related to configuring your network
cupholder

How to install Samba on a CentOS 7 system with no internet access?

Post by cupholder » 2019/01/24 10:20:16

Newbie here and looking for details or a procedure on how to install Samba on a system running CentOS 7.4 that has no internet access, therefore I can't use YUM.
Thanks in advance.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: How to install Samba on a CentOS 7 system with no internet access?

Post by TrevorH » 2019/01/24 14:43:40

You can use yum, you just have to tell it that the online repos are disabled (enabled=0 in each repo stanza in the files in /etc/yum.repos.d)

There's already a repo called c7-media which is disabled by default. Mount the iso file on one of the directories mentioned in CentOS-Media.repo (or amend it to add your own) then enable that repo and use it that way.

And 7.4 is 18 months out of date so you should really download and mount the 7.6 iso image and do a full yum update from that.

Better yet, read our wiki article on how to set up a local mirror and create one on a machine that does have internet access then rsync from a public mirror to yours and amend all your clients to point to your local mirror. That way you can actually stay up to date with newly released security patches (there are already quite a few on top of 7.6 itself). For information on how to go about setting up a local CentOS mirror please see https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/CreateLocalMirror
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

cupholder

Re: How to install Samba on a CentOS 7 system with no internet access?

Post by cupholder » 2019/01/24 15:48:13

Thank you. I will look into the detail you have supplied.