CentOS7 VM/Hyper-V Host to 10G NIC

Issues related to configuring your network
wolfr1

CentOS7 VM/Hyper-V Host to 10G NIC

Post by wolfr1 » 2019/02/13 20:09:32

CentOS 7.2.1511 on Windows 2012 R2 host.

We've been migrating from 1G Ethernet to 10G Ethernet. The host has its drivers and is using one of the X550 NIC ports without problems. My concern is how the CentOS VM will see a 10G NIC when we migrate the VM to it. Currently the VM shows this when running lshw:

*-network
description: Ethernet interface
physical id: 1
logical name: eth0
serial: 00:15:5d:02:17:05
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=hv_netvsc firmware=N/A ip=x.x.x.x link=yes multicast=yes

Will I need to install newer drivers or does anyone know if hv_netvsc will simply allow for greater bandwidth once the VM is moved to the new 10G NIC?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: CentOS7 VM/Hyper-V Host to 10G NIC

Post by TrevorH » 2019/02/13 20:27:25

First off, you need to run yum update soon. CentOS 7.2 is over 3 years old and has numerous high severity security vulnerabilities present. The current version is 7.6.1810 and that command will update you to it.

Now, unless you're physically attaching (dedicating) an ethernet card to your CentOS guest then it's not using the hardware at all. It's using whatever Windows has been told to emulate to its guest. That driver is the "Microsoft Hyper-V network driver" so it is for a virtual network card. The properties of that virtual network card should be visible on the host. I've nevr used Hyper-V so I haev no idea what it emulates for its guests but that is a specific driver for a Hyper-V network card. On KVM on linux, a virtio ethernet adapter attached to the guest Windows system shows up as 10Gbps. I would hope that MS do something similar.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke