Can't access SAMBA shares from Mac Mojave

Issues related to configuring your network
johnwmcc

Can't access SAMBA shares from Mac Mojave

Post by johnwmcc » 2019/03/18 02:10:56

i've just set up a new CentOS 7.6 server on a VMware ESXi 6.5 virtual machine, in order to run Plex.

I've added Samba v4, opened assorted ports recommended in a post on setting up Samba 4 specifically on CentOS.

I've added a Samba user to match my own Linux username.

I've tried to share my home folder, and another folder with subfolders to which I want to add media (music, films, TV shows and photos) for Plex to serve. I can't access them remotely to add files.

The folders to be shared have owner john:users, directory permissions 775 and default file permissions 664 (I think - I can't add files at the moment).

I've created one test text file with permissions 777.

I'm using MacOS Mojave to try to access the shares and copy files to them. I can connect to the server via Finder/Go/Connect to Server and inputting the IP address, then using Connect As... to enter my Linus username and pw.

I can see the shared folders, but can't open ones with a subfolder, and I can't see the text file in my home folder /home/john.

What's stopping this access? Is it SELinux? If so, how do I correct that?

If it isn't that, what else might it be?

I looked at the article on Understanding Samba 4, and couldn't understand it, especially the firewall rules editing iptables.

CentOS has the firewalld and firewall-cmd method of setting firewall rules. But I've a suspicion that isn't the problem - I've opened what I believe (from an article about setting up Samba specifically on CentOS) are the relevant tcp and udp ports - quite a lot of them!

Please help. i've been banging my head all evening on this, and don't understand what's causing the problem.

[LATER]

It seems that SE (Secure) Linux is enabled by default.

Rather than turn it off completely, I found a command in another forum that enables R/W access for all Samba shares. That solved THAT problem.