Remove Rsh

Support for security such as Firewalls and securing linux
gerald_clark

Re: Remove Rsh

Post by gerald_clark » 2014/10/17 23:39:31

What does " I have a rlogin prompt on a port that I can't find and disable. " mean?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2014/10/18 10:11:34

Post #5 in this thread says "I have a rlogin prompt on port 514 that I can't disable".

RRMedia: Please run netstat -antp | grep LISTEN | grep 514 and post the output. You may need to use yum install net-tools to get netstat since it's no longer installed by default on el7. The bit I'm interested in from the output of the first set of commands is the process id and name listed on the right hand side - should say something like 9999/xyzabc. Once you have that, run which xyzabc (or whatever the program name was that was listed in the netstat) and take the output from which xyzabc and plug that into rpm -qf /usr/bin/xyzabc - in all cases changing xyzabc to whatever was on the end of the netstat line it found in step 1.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

RRMedia

Post by RRMedia » 2014/10/18 13:52:14

TrevorH wrote:Post #5 in this thread says "I have a rlogin prompt on port 514 that I can't disable".

RRMedia: Please run netstat -antp | grep LISTEN | grep 514 and post the output. You may need to use yum install net-tools to get netstat since it's no longer installed by default on el7. The bit I'm interested in from the output of the first set of commands is the process id and name listed on the right hand side - should say something like 9999/xyzabc. Once you have that, run which xyzabc (or whatever the program name was that was listed in the netstat) and take the output from which xyzabc and plug that into rpm -qf /usr/bin/xyzabc - in all cases changing xyzabc to whatever was on the end of the netstat line it found in step 1.
Thank you for replying to my thread. I only have 1 service listening and that's sshd so I get no response when I grep port 514.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2014/10/18 16:54:20

That doesn't make sense given that you posted that you connected to port 514 and found a login prompt. If nothing is LISTENing then nothing should respond.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

RRMedia

Post by RRMedia » 2014/10/18 18:13:17

TrevorH wrote:That doesn't make sense given that you posted that you connected to port 514 and found a login prompt. If nothing is LISTENing then nothing should respond.
That's why I decided to ask here since I was stuck trying to locate the problem. I think I have it figured out now...I believe the rlogin prompt is just part of Putty since I tried random ip's and everyone gave me a prompt plus nmap only reveals my sshd port.

My dual boot computer is down so I'm stuck using Putty for now.

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2014/10/18 18:24:16

Honestly, it doesn't seem that hostile.
Often though, people are very busy, helping with their free time, and can be somewhat impatient when someone doesn't answer clearly.
In fairness, as you've said, you're inexperienced and not sure of what the actual question is.

Please don't take this wrong, but it's always good to have a look at some of the links in my signature, which might help
you ask the right question.

The best-known topic on this is How to ask questions the smart way, at http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Anyway.....

So, you have rsh, and you don't want it. Using yum provides can be helpful, I have a page on it at http://srobb.net/yumprovides.html, but in a nutshell

As you're trying to get rid of rsh

yum provides */rsh

You see a few things come up, but the likely one is rsh-server.

So, you should be able to do yum remove rsh-server

So, I wouldn't call that hostility--you've been given a solution that should work and then asked if you've done it. While, due to posting time, and simply overlooking things, you may have missed the question, it should be the solution, and while I don't claim to speak for anyone else, I know that had I given that suggestion and seen it ignored, I'd be a bit aggravated.

So, I will add, before posting anything else about people not being helpful or hostile, the next thing you should do is try to remove rsh-server and see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, give the results of what happened when you typed yum remove rsh-server

To make sure you have rsh-server installed, you can run rpm -q rsh-server. If it shows nothing, then it means something more peculiar is going on.
New users should check the FAQ and Read Me First pages

RRMedia

Post by RRMedia » 2014/10/18 19:16:47

scottro wrote:Honestly, it doesn't seem that hostile.
Often though, people are very busy, helping with their free time, and can be somewhat impatient when someone doesn't answer clearly.
In fairness, as you've said, you're inexperienced and not sure of what the actual question is.

Please don't take this wrong, but it's always good to have a look at some of the links in my signature, which might help
you ask the right question.

The best-known topic on this is How to ask questions the smart way, at http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Anyway.....

So, you have rsh, and you don't want it. Using yum provides can be helpful, I have a page on it at http://srobb.net/yumprovides.html, but in a nutshell

As you're trying to get rid of rsh

yum provides */rsh

You see a few things come up, but the likely one is rsh-server.

So, you should be able to do yum remove rsh-server

So, I wouldn't call that hostility--you've been given a solution that should work and then asked if you've done it. While, due to posting time, and simply overlooking things, you may have missed the question, it should be the solution, and while I don't claim to speak for anyone else, I know that had I given that suggestion and seen it ignored, I'd be a bit aggravated.

So, I will add, before posting anything else about people not being helpful or hostile, the next thing you should do is try to remove rsh-server and see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, give the results of what happened when you typed yum remove rsh-server

To make sure you have rsh-server installed, you can run rpm -q rsh-server. If it shows nothing, then it means something more peculiar is going on.
Well I appreciate you guys taking time out of lifes to answer my questions. I wouldn't ask a question here or post if I hadn't spent a good amount of my time researching dead ends. Also I felt like my answers were being scrutinized not for being nebulous but for no apparent reason.