new pop-up notification about available updates

Support for security such as Firewalls and securing linux
LMHmedchem

new pop-up notification about available updates

Post by LMHmedchem » 2024/01/09 15:56:11

Hello,

I recently started getting a pop-up notification at the lower right indicating that there were important security updates available. There are three buttons on the pop-up. The top button is blank, which is odd. The other two buttons are "view" and "apply". It is important to note that I have been using CentOS for years and I have never seen this before.

The first time I noticed this I clicked on "view". There was a delay and then the window just disappeared. Nothing else happened. I opened Yum Extender and did a search for updates. There were a few and I installed them. There are about 20 updates relating to wifi that I didn't install since this system does not have a wifi adapter installed. I have not noticed any available wifi updates before so this is also different. Is it normal for updates to appear for hardware that is not present on the system? If so, why I have I never seen them before.

I take note of any new behaviour on my system and this is new.

Can anyone shed any light on what is going on or what steps I should take to investigate?

Thanks,

LMHmedchem

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: new pop-up notification about available updates

Post by TrevorH » 2024/01/09 17:10:51

Updates are for installed packages and don't know what hardware is present. Some packages like *-firmware are required by others that you probably do need.

I can't answer your question about the GUI updater as I've never used it and don't have it installed.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke