upgrade to CentOS 8 from 7????

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
oscaritox2000

upgrade to CentOS 8 from 7????

Post by oscaritox2000 » 2019/09/26 15:47:23

Hello all,

Is there a way to upgrade CentOS 7 to 8 without missing my files or applications?
Like a Live USB, run it and replace only system folders, anything like that.

Thanks,
Oscar

ggpigg

Re: upgrade to CentOS 8 from 7????

Post by ggpigg » 2019/09/27 02:20:08

Hey Oscar, as far as I know there is no way to do this in place. Your best bet is to list your applications and save the folders such as your document, picture, music, etc. Also if you're using thunderbird be sure to make a copy of the .thunderbird folder. Keep in mind the thunderbird folder is a system folder and is usually hidden so depending on your file viewer settings you may want to unhide system files. Also be sure to save your browser bookmarks by saving them to an html file for easy importing for any browser. This will be much easier with a clean install. That being said, I saved bookmarks, documents and music. I made a list of must have software and in this case - Audacity, filezilla and leafpad. The os install took roughly 15mins and the applications were a little more time as these apps were not available via EPEL, rpmfusion. I used flatpak to install audacity and filezilla. Those installs were pretty painless. I'm guessing its part of the NWO. Good luck!

mikemikew

Post by mikemikew » 2019/09/27 10:32:03

ggpigg wrote:
2019/09/27 02:20:08
Hey Oscar, as far as I know there is no way to do this in place. Your best bet is to list your applications and save the folders such as your document, picture, music, etc. Also if you're using thunderbird be sure to make a copy of the .thunderbird folder…Also be sure to save your browser bookmarks by saving them to an html file for easy importing for any browser.
Why did you make it so complicated? Just copy your entire home directory and that guarantees you have everything. Maybe speed things up a bit and save some space by deleting the contents of `~/.cache` first since everything in there is inherently disposable. Do a clean install. Copy your entire home directory back. Or just what you want from it.

kcjej

Post by kcjej » 2019/09/27 11:00:09

All i want to do is try centos from usb stick without installing it to my hard drive. I've successfully done so with many other distros but with centos all I get is the full install choice no matter which usb creator i try. I read that the full version is the only one that offers a live boot version but it doesn't work for me. Please tell me how to boot to usb triall version before deciding to do a complete install. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jlehtone

Post by jlehtone » 2019/09/27 12:23:03

The default partition scheme creates about four partitions. There is '/' and '/home'.

(almost) All user data is in '/home' filesystem. There is no reason to modify that filesystem and it can be mounted to the new OS.
(If you do not have separate /home, then you need to copy.)

I said (almost). The database of users is in root filesystem ('/') ... or in external domain servers. You need to migrate username/password/uid/groups.
missing my applications?
The applications have hopefully been installed via package manager. That you have to repeat on the new system. Note though that some applications have been replaced, so all names won't match.

Apart from user database, you might have had customization on your 7. For example firewall rules.
You have to know what you have done and more importantly why. Only if the reason is still relevant, then you have to reproduce the effect in 8.

Oh, if have a service like httpd on the 7 and its data in the default location (/var/www), then you have to copy the data.

No matter what you do, have a valid backup.