CentOS 8, Wayland and fluxbox

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
bonedome

CentOS 8, Wayland and fluxbox

Post by bonedome » 2019/10/12 16:01:57

Hello fellow fluxbox users
come on there must be some :lol:
I'm currently using CentOS 7.7 and will probably wait a while to jump into 8.
Wayland, looks like it might become the next big shake up for GNU/Linux and is now default in CentOS, Fedora and probably others.
Have any of you guys installed fluxbox on CentOS 8 and if so have you installed xorg-x11-server-Xwayland and run fluxbox in a wayland session, does it work, is it as good ?
I know you can revert to x11 but I'd like to give wayland a shot, only thing is there doesn't seem to be a fluxbox equivalent made to run on wayland, or am I just not looking hard enough.
I've seen sway https://swaywm.org/ (watch the video) and am impressed, I have installed i3 (sway's x11 cousin) to try it out.
Now I've tried to get with the whole tiling window thing (fluxbox can also do this) and maybe I'm getting old and set in my ways but I just prefer my overlapping windows (maybe it's my fading eyesight).
Btw I really want this thread to be more about wayland and people's thoughts/experience with it than purely window managers.

rprowel

Re: CentOS 8, Wayland and fluxbox

Post by rprowel » 2019/10/12 18:01:42

I worry about such things too, since my window manager of choice has been and always will be humble fvwm. I understand the logic of wayland and compositors but until there is a 110% solution for integration with all existing X11 apps and services I hate the fact that such things will be rammed down people's throats.

I'm in the process of building fvwm under centos8 for wayland at the moment and will post my experiences as to whether it works under the wayland X11 server.

bonedome

Post by bonedome » 2019/10/14 21:54:49

After a fair amount of searching I've found a glint of light here https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... -Less-2017 I like the look of grefsen and weston (an rpm is already available for fedora)
I might have to try out a fedora live image and check out wayland/weston and see if it can provide a similar/better experience to x11 window managers.

rprowel

Post by rprowel » 2019/10/28 01:57:35

Well, looks like centos8 does NOT include the reference wayland compositor (weston), so my experiments with running a wayland compatible X server probably won't work.

If wayland is going to be forced down people's throats then it should be better implemented to support existing desktops and GUI servers, not just gnome.