GCC Install with Kernel 5 header conflict

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
nroskam

GCC Install with Kernel 5 header conflict

Post by nroskam » 2019/10/30 23:55:52

Hi, I installed CentOS 8 on a clean system. I also upgraded immediately to the latest Kernel 5 through the elrepo... Unfortunately I had not installed GCC prior to doing so... Now I am trying to install GCC (dnf install gcc) and get a kernel header clash between the kernel 4 and 5 headers.

Anyone has an idea how to install GCC without getting the header release clash? It's trying to install gcc 8.2.1-3.5.el8.

Exmple output:

Code: Select all

Error: Transaction check error:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
  file /usr/include/asm-generic/hugetlb_encode.h from install of kernel-headers-4.18.0-80.11.2.el8_0.x86_64 conflicts with file from package kernel-ml-headers-5.3.1-1.el8.elrepo.x86_64                                                                                                                                                                            
  file /usr/include/asm-generic/ioctls.h from install of kernel-headers-4.18.0-80.11.2.el8_0.x86_64 conflicts with file from package kernel-ml-headers-5.3.1-1.el8.elrepo.x86_64
Followed by about a 100+ other *.h header files.

Trying to install through dnf install "Development Tools" also fails:

# dnf install "Development Tools"
Last metadata expiration check: 0:06:54 ago on Thu 31 Oct 2019 03:03:52 PM AEDT.
No match for argument: Development Tools
Error: Unable to find a match
Strangely enough, when running dnf groupinfo "Development Tools" it appears to exist:

# dnf groupinfo "Development Tools"
Last metadata expiration check: 0:07:01 ago on Thu 31 Oct 2019 03:03:52 PM AEDT.

Group: Development Tools
 Description: A basic development environment.
 Mandatory Packages:
   autoconf
   automake
   binutils
   bison
   flex
   gcc
   gcc-c++
   gdb
   glibc-devel
   libtool
   make
   pkgconf
   pkgconf-m4
   pkgconf-pkg-config
   redhat-rpm-config
   rpm-build
   rpm-sign
   strace
 Default Packages:
   asciidoc
   byacc
   ctags
   diffstat
   git
   intltool
   ltrace
   patchutils
   perl-Fedora-VSP
   perl-generators
   pesign
   source-highlight
   systemtap
   valgrind
   valgrind-devel
 Optional Packages:
   cmake
   expect
   rpmdevtools
   rpmlint

nroskam

Re: GCC Install with Kernel 5 header conflict

Post by nroskam » 2019/10/31 23:40:01

I've gone back to just the default kernel 4 and removed all kernel 5 dependencies, which allowed me to install gcc, etc.

It also solved a weird problem that my mouse pointer didn't show up on the GUI. Maybe some kernel 5/centos 8 particular issue with the mouse device driver?

VNC is still giving me a whole bunch of issues. It seems to work ok on startup, but then when it goes to the locked screen password entry bit, it does all kind of weird things responding to my remote keyboard input, which doesn't allow me to complete password entry, and therefore keeps out of my vnc session. this is with kernel 4 on centos 8 running within a user space. I'll submit seperate entry for that.

Return to “CentOS 8 - General Support”