EPEL repository doesn't work in Centos8

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
ducarpit

EPEL repository doesn't work in Centos8

Post by ducarpit » 2019/11/13 10:22:25

Hi,
i want to install the EPEL repository in my CentOS8 but it seems they doesn't work.
I followed this guide:

https://www.linuxtechi.com/enable-epel- ... l8-server/

But i receive some errors about an SSL certificate not signed and if i run "yum check-update" i receive some error with the sync of the epel repository.
Why? Can someone help me?
Thanks a lot in advance,

Christian

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: EPEL repository doesn't work in Centos8

Post by TrevorH » 2019/11/13 10:49:59

Those intructions are unnecessary. We already ship the epel-release package so all you need to do is run yum --enablerepo=extras install epel-release

Run yum clean all and then yum --disablerepo=epel\* remove epel-release then install it from extras.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

ducarpit

Post by ducarpit » 2019/11/13 11:26:31

Hi,
i tried your commands now, and no error has occured.
But when i run "yum check-update" i got this error:

Code: Select all

[root@centos8 test]# yum clean all
27 file rimossi
[root@centos8 test]# yum check-update
CentOS-8 - AppStream                                                                                          1.4 MB/s | 6.3 MB     00:04
CentOS-8 - Base                                                                                               1.5 MB/s | 7.9 MB     00:05
CentOS-8 - Extras                                                                                             567  B/s | 2.1 kB     00:03
CentOS-8 - PowerTools                                                                                         353 kB/s | 1.8 MB     00:05
Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 8 - x86_64                                                                0.0  B/s |   0  B     00:01
Errore: Sincronizzazione cache non riuscita per il repo 'epel'
[root@centos8 test]#
In english the error is something like "cache synchronization failed for 'epel' repo".....
The same error i received with the previous metod.
Christian

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2019/11/13 11:59:44

You can get yum to give you English errors directly by prefixing it with e.g LANG=C yum check-update

You mentioned SSL errors but there are none in the current output. Do you still see those?
Use the FAQ Luke

ducarpit

Post by ducarpit » 2019/11/13 12:36:35

Hi, in english is:

27 file rimossi
[root@centos8 test]# LANG=C yum check-update
CentOS-8 - AppStream                                                                                                                                                                                         1.2 MB/s | 6.3 MB     00:05
CentOS-8 - Base                                                                                                                                                                                              1.6 MB/s | 7.9 MB     00:04
CentOS-8 - Extras                                                                                                                                                                                            477  B/s | 2.1 kB     00:04
CentOS-8 - PowerTools                                                                                                                                                                                        365 kB/s | 1.8 MB     00:05
Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 8 - x86_64                                                                                                                                                               0.0  B/s |   0  B     00:01
Error: Failed to synchronize cache for repo 'epel'
[root@centos8 test]#
No, the errors with the SSL certificate not signed disappeared. But now there is this new problem unfortunatly.
Thanks a lot in advance

Christian

ducarpit

Post by ducarpit » 2019/11/13 15:45:38

addmin wrote:
2019/11/13 15:37:22
ducarpit wrote:
2019/11/13 12:36:35
Hi, in english is:

27 file rimossi
[root@centos8 test]# LANG=C yum check-update
CentOS-8 - AppStream                                                                                                                                                                                         1.2 MB/s | 6.3 MB     00:05
CentOS-8 - Base                                                                                                                                                                                              1.6 MB/s | 7.9 MB     00:04
CentOS-8 - Extras                                                                                                                                                                                            477  B/s | 2.1 kB     00:04
CentOS-8 - PowerTools                                                                                                                                                                                        365 kB/s | 1.8 MB     00:05
Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 8 - x86_64                                                                                                                                                               0.0  B/s |   0  B     00:01
Error: Failed to synchronize cache for repo 'epel'
[root@centos8 test]#
No, the errors with the SSL certificate not signed disappeared. But now there is this new problem unfortunatly.
Thanks a lot in advance

Christian
If problem with cache try this, it may resolve unless there are other issues.

dnf clean all
dnf update
use dnf and yum interchangeably
I have tried this yet (see the command above)......but i tried again: same error with the cache.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2019/11/13 16:31:26

Are you behind a web proxy?
Use the FAQ Luke

ducarpit

Post by ducarpit » 2019/11/15 10:21:01

TrevorH wrote:
2019/11/13 16:31:26
Are you behind a web proxy?
Probably....because i got this error in my work PC....i tried some minutes ago the same things in a VM on my personal PC with my personal internet connection at home and all works fine!
How can i check if the problem is some block in the work network? I can try to open a ticket at my IT channel. Is there an URL can i check? The URL of the epel repository for example...
Thanks a lot in advance

Christian

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2019/11/15 10:24:29

Read man yum.conf and search it for "proxy" and then you can add entries to yum.conf containing your proxy address/username/password and see if it works. If you don't know the details then you will need to ask your IT people.
Use the FAQ Luke

ducarpit

Post by ducarpit » 2019/11/15 11:04:14

TrevorH wrote:
2019/11/15 10:24:29
Read man yum.conf and search it for "proxy" and then you can add entries to yum.conf containing your proxy address/username/password and see if it works. If you don't know the details then you will need to ask your IT people.
Hi, i think i solved the proble adding the CA certificate of my company in the Virtual Machine (i remember in the past i had to do this operation in my Ubuntu VMs), i followed this simple steps:

1) Install the ca-certificates package (already installed):
	yum install ca-certificates

2) Enable the dynamic CA configuration feature:
	update-ca-trust force-enable

3) Add it as a new file to /etc/pki/ca-trust/source/anchors/:
	cp [certificate].crt /etc/pki/ca-trust/source/anchors/

4) Use this command to add the new certificate:
	update-ca-trust extract
Probably, ythere isn't a direct web proxy, i think it's only an sslsniff method.
Christian