Centos 8 post upgrade wont recognize ssd boot drive/hangs

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
xxteknolustxx

Centos 8 post upgrade wont recognize ssd boot drive/hangs

Post by xxteknolustxx » 2019/11/30 20:05:53

Hello,

I did a fresh install of centos 7 then upgraded to centos 8, which worked fine (used this article, https://www.tecmint.com/upgrade-centos-7-to-centos-8/). Once I rebooted, it hung and dracut complained that it could not load the boot disk anymore (even though it loaded fine post upgrade). FYI, I went this route, cause the centos 8 installer wouldn't detect my ssd drive, but the centos 7 installer does.

I couldn't get a copy of raw error details (see https://imgur.com/a/JXy5riQ). When I tried to mount a usb drive in dracut, it complained that vfat, ext4, ntfs were not supported on mount (I checked /proc/filesystems and none were listed there)

Seems to be complaining the about the nvme controller.

It still boots into the old kernel in rescue mode (v3 something), but refuses to boot with centos8/kernel 4 (latest)

Motherboard: ASRock X399 Taichi sTR4
ssd: HP EX920 M.2 1TB PCIe 3.1 X4 Nvme 3D TLC NAND

Any ideas?

TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Re: Centos 8 post upgrade wont recognize ssd boot drive/hangs

Post by TrevorH » 2019/11/30 21:37:59

There is NO upgrade process. To go from CentOS 7 to 8 requires a reinstall. Any article you read online that says otherwise can support the process they recommend. We do not.
CentOS 6 will die in November 2020 - migrate sooner rather than later!
CentOS 5 has been EOL for nearly 3 years and should no longer be used for anything!
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

xxteknolustxx

Post by xxteknolustxx » 2019/11/30 22:25:36

Gotcha, sorry didn't know.

Any idea why the centos 8 installer doesn't detect my ssd then? Or recommendations for troubleshooting that problem?

TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Post by TrevorH » 2019/12/01 00:07:49

Lots of hits on google for those error messages "iommu ivhd0 amd-vi event logged invalid_device_request". Lots of them old, most talk about making sure that the hardware iommu is enabled in the BIOS settings. Others say to pass iommu=soft on the kernel command line. Don't know if any of those help for you.
CentOS 6 will die in November 2020 - migrate sooner rather than later!
CentOS 5 has been EOL for nearly 3 years and should no longer be used for anything!
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

Return to “CentOS 8 - General Support”