Leaving CentOS for RHEL: How to maintain community support?

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
mphelpsmd

Leaving CentOS for RHEL: How to maintain community support?

Post by mphelpsmd » 2021/10/30 22:12:32

With two months to spare, I ran convert2rhel on my CentOS 8.4 home server and it went through the motions. I'm using a RHEL free individual developer account.

Surprisingly, all is well. Not a hitch. Everything seems fully functional without any further intervention.

Code: Select all

[root@ares ~]# cat /etc/centos-release
cat: /etc/centos-release: No such file or directory
[root@ares ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release 
Red Hat Enterprise Linux release 8.4 (Ootpa)
[root@ares ~]# 
It's actually kind of anti-climactic, considering I'm leaving the community that provided me technical support for a decade. I've learned so much about system administration from CentOS contributors like TrevorH. Now I feel lost, transferred to a similar yet distinctly different realm.

Where are people in similar situations going for support and education with RHEL? I see a list of recent topics at https://access.redhat.com/discussions, although the user interface does not appear as good as CentOS. Are there other websites people find helpful for this purpose?

Many thanks for everyone who helped me over the years, and provided me with significant education on my hobby.

Michael

MartinR

Re: Leaving CentOS for RHEL: How to maintain community support?

Post by MartinR » 2021/10/31 08:06:58

Just from my own personal experience and nothing else, there is a good community support group for AlmaLinux, which is where I've gone.

jlehtone

Post by jlehtone » 2021/10/31 08:58:40

The largest technical difference between RHEL and CentOS/Alma/Rocky that I have noticed is in what repositories, "subscriptions", there are. The CL/AL/RL have 'baseos', 'appstream', 'extras', and 'powertools'. The RHEL has something else. Red Hat documentation describes the RHEL repo usage.

The rest of procedures ought to apply to all distros equally. The RHEL documentation is what I tend to read first, even though I don't use RHEL.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2021/10/31 12:45:37

The CentOS 8 repo names are identical to the RHEL ones with the exception of "CRB" which they claimed was their name and CentOS would need to find its own - hence powertools. But baseos, appstream and extras are all RHEL names.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

jlehtone

Post by jlehtone » 2021/10/31 18:26:02

Even less differences? My bad.