Drift between CentOS Stream 8 and 9 kickstart disk management

Issues related to hardware problems
Fl1nt

Drift between CentOS Stream 8 and 9 kickstart disk management

Post by Fl1nt » 2023/11/20 14:13:29

Hi team!

I'm facing a weird situation on one of my server on the provisioning process.

Here is the machine HW Model:
  • HPE Proliant DL365 Gen 10 Plus with 6x 1.9TB SATA 6GBps SSD disks model 4IYRHPG6
What's going on:
When I'm provisioning this machine using CentOS Stream 8 kickstart, the installer successfully install the OS on the first disk of the server as SDA 100% of time.

When I'm provisioning this machine using CentOS Stream 9 kickstart, the installer isn't able to install the OS on the first disk of the server as SDA 100% of time.

Kickstart paste:
https://paste.opendev.org/show/bjeFoS3svA3dILjMEP8n/

Additional informations:
  • Any other servers of this pool are using HPG3 disks instead of 4IYRHPG6 one and they're all provisionned correctly.
  • This specific server is sometimes failing cause the installer can't find the device path (But it's there when looking from debug console).
    From our debugging sessions, it seems to be related to a slowness during the kernel hardware detection phase where the first disk is much slower than the others to be reachable/seen, but as I thought that the steps on this specific part of the installer where synchrone I'm a bit lost.
  • This specific server is sometimes failing cause the installer FIND the device path but do not assign it the SDA ID even if we told it to ignore other disk and assign the SDA id to another available disk.
  • This specific server when using a more relaxed kickstart showed us that this happen kinda because of a race condition where disks aren't detected at the same pace and that the first disk is the slowest of them all.
So all in all, I think I've gave you all information I've got, if anyone have a clue, I'm all in!
Thanks!