Trying to install Intel Wireless 2200BG - having troubles

Issues related to hardware problems
zincoxide

Trying to install Intel Wireless 2200BG - having troubles

Post by zincoxide » 2007/05/17 05:09:17

I am completely lost! I don't understand a darn thing. After spending about an hour or two, I've finally figured out how to mount my windows partition.

I am trying to install the above mentioned wireless network adapter and so far, I have downloaded the drivers for Linux from the Intel site. I have unpacked them. I'm reading the INSTALL file and it says that I have to make sure that my kernel is configured right and look for some #define sections of /lib/modules/'uname -r'/linux/buile/autoconf.h

Well... I've been looking and looking and I can't find either that location or the file.

Can someone please help me?

Lenard

Re: Trying to install Intel Wireless 2200BG - having troubles

Post by Lenard » 2007/05/17 11:24:06

You already have he drivers, they are installed. try typing something like;

cat /proc/modules | grep ipw <<-- this checks if the module is loaded or not
/sbin/modpobe -v -n ipw2200 <<--this checks if the module is available

What you lacking is the firmware for the device, try something like installing the rpmforge-release package:

http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/FAQ.php#B

When done type: yum install ipw2200-firmware

zincoxide

Post by zincoxide » 2007/05/18 04:01:56

Okay... Now I'm really lost. :)

I did as you suggested and typed in cat /proc/modules | grep ipw and it said LIVE beside the ipw and ieee802.

I also typed /sbin/modprobe -v -n ipw2200 and nothing happened. It just came to a new prompt.

I typed yum install ipw2200-firmware and it couldn't do it (I'm assuming it was because it can't connect).

---

I am really really lost. If I could get someone to explain the process to me, it might help me out a bit. I typed in those commands but I don't know what each command is for.

I right clicked on the firmware file and selected to install it, however it still doesn't work.

In the actual INSTALL directions within the driver from the Intel site, it says to go to /lib/modules/'uname -r'/build/include/linux/autoconf.h but there is no such file. Can anyone tell me where to go for this?

I'm really getting frustrated... Four days is rediculous to install a network driver!

Lenard

Post by Lenard » 2007/05/18 08:51:06

OK you can learn about the commands by reading the man pages for them, from the virtual console or xterm session or google; http://www.google.com/linux ; by typing something like: man modprobe

The first command (cat /proc/modules | grep ipw ) shows that the module is loaded, is is good.
The second (modprobe) command came back to the prompt because there was nothing to do, the module was already loaded.

Since you do have a working Internet connection, they use it to download the ipw2200-firmware rpm package from Dag's site.

http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/ipw2200-firmware/

Then install it as root from where the file is located by typing something like: rpm -ivh ipw2200-firmware*.rpm

[quote]
In the actual INSTALL directions within the driver from the Intel site, it says to go to /lib/modules/'uname -r'/build/include/linux/autoconf.h but there is no such file. Can anyone tell me where to go for this?
[/quote]

These instructions are for somebody to build the driver if the driver is not already available. One needs the kernel source or to have the kernel-devel and kernel-headers rpm packages installed.

zincoxide

Post by zincoxide » 2007/05/18 15:34:37

[quote]
Lenard wrote:
OK you can learn about the commands by reading the man pages for them, from the virtual console or xterm session or google; http://www.google.com/linux ; by typing something like: man modprobe

The first command (cat /proc/modules | grep ipw ) shows that the module is loaded, is is good.
The second (modprobe) command came back to the prompt because there was nothing to do, the module was already loaded.
[/quote]

Thanks... I forgot about the linux page on google. It was very helpful. Thanks for the explanation on the others.

[quote]
Since you do have a working Internet connection, they use it to download the ipw2200-firmware rpm package from Dag's site.

http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/ipw2200-firmware/
[/quote]

I don't have an internet connection. It is showing that it's live but there is no connection.

I went to www.google.ca/linux and did a search on "can't find autoconfig.h centos" (without quotes) and found a thread on another forum but the person was running SUSE 10.2 not centos. Anyways... He was having the same problem and ended up re-installing SUSE to get it working. Once he did that he got it working through Yast.

Anyways... This thread suggested going to the terminal and typing lspci and see if the 2200BG is listed. I did this and it is listed. Next it suggested to go to firefox and type about:config which I did and searched for ipv6 and changed the value to true. No joy!

[quote]
Then install it as root from where the file is located by typing something like: rpm -ivh ipw2200-firmware*.rpm
[/quote]

I did as suggested but it says that there is a newer version already installed.

NEXT:

I went into System > Administration > Network and there was only one device listed at eth0 which is my onboard NIC adapter. So, I tried clicking ADD and selected to add a wireless device however when the dialog popped up the Wireless adapter still wasn't listed. I selected "Other wireless device" and then went down the listbox and there was no Intell Wireless 2200BG. There was only 3 Intel listed devices, all of them were ethernet Pro 10, 100, 1000 respectively.

Where else should I go from here?

Oh... I also went into Firefox and tried to connect to my router and it couldn't connect. I did this because I wanted to see if my problem was the network setup (because I do have WEP security enabled) or if it was a problem elsewhere.

Lenard

Post by Lenard » 2007/05/19 11:00:28

Yes you do have an Internet connection, this same one you are posting messages here with!!! Nothing says you cannot use this to download the rpm package then install it later. It is small enough to fit on a floppy disk if need be.

Quote: "ipw2200-firmware-3.0-3.nodist.rf.noarch.rpm Tue 17 Oct 2006 946 kB All distributions - noarch"

frankweber

Post by frankweber » 2007/12/30 19:40:37

In my configuration the ip address can not be detected ...

Could someone give me a hint what is missing?

1) I installed: ipw2200-firmware-3.0-3.nodist.rf.noarch.rpm
eth1 shows in the NetworkManager and I set the wireless option

2) configured /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=root

network={
ssid="zzz"
proto=WPA
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
psk="xxx"
pairwise=TKIP
group=TKIP
}

Lenard

Post by Lenard » 2007/12/30 20:35:48

Step one: Divide and conquer

Turn off encryption on the router until you know you can get a connection. This will cut the problem in half for starters, no need for encryption on the router if one cannot make a connection to start with. One can always re-enable the enable the encryption afterwards.

Step two: make sure you can see and talk to your router;

NetworkManager is not the best choice to assist you in troubleshooting, you are much better at troubleshooting then you realize. Please check/edit the /etc/sysconfig/network and add the router's internal IP address (the gateway) as per the example below;

[code]
NETWORKING=yes
NETWORKING_IPV6=no
NOZEROCONF=yes
HOSTNAME=CentOS5
GATEWAY=192.168.0.1

[/code]

Also check/edit/verfiy the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 file for something along the lines of;

[code]
TYPE=Wireless
DEVICE=eth1
HWADDR=
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
DHCP_HOSTNAME=
IPADDR=
DOMAIN=
ONBOOT=yes
ONHOTPLUG=yes
USERCTL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes
NETMASK=255.255.0.0
ESSID=
CHANNEL=
MODE=
RATE=

[/code]

omara007

Post by omara007 » 2007/12/30 22:06:00

If I did that .. won't I need to issue any command to connect to my wireless network ? .. in other words, in order to view the available wireless networks, we issue (iwlist) command .. do you have something similar needed to connect to one of these available networks ?

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2007/12/31 01:29:12

You could put in your network's name in the ESSID line. Once it boots up, if it hasn't connected, you can do something like /etc/init.d/network restart and see what sort of messages you're getting.

(Hopefully, that won't be necessary, you'll be connected to your own wireless network. There's two unsecured networks in my building, and the other day, my wife comes screaming at me that she can't print--apparently, her Mac had lost the connection and reconnected to one of the two.)