Managing server via SSH

Issues related to configuring your network
Mark4785

Managing server via SSH

Post by Mark4785 » 2012/07/15 18:44:10

Hello,

I am trying to connect to a server running Centos 5 via the SSH service using an iMac. I have activated the ssh service and I am allowing inbound access to the service via port 22. Unfortunately, everytime I try to connect to the service via the Mac OS X terminal, Centos is asking for a password. I can't remember having set a password so I was wondering if anybody knew how I could go about finding/working out or changing the SSH password so that I am able to remotely connect to Centos.

Also, I have SSH configured to run at all run levels so will this allow me to connect to Centos via SSH, while it is at the log-in splash screen prior to logging into the system has root?

Thanks,

Mark.

Mark4785

Re: Managing server via SSH

Post by Mark4785 » 2012/07/15 19:39:48

Any ideas?

Mark4785

Post by Mark4785 » 2012/07/15 20:37:13

I've managed to log in has root remotely via SSH, however I'm only able to achieve this after I go to the Centos host machine and manually log-in has root. Is there anyway to remotely connect to Centos using SSH while it is at the log-in screen?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2012/07/17 08:12:32

Make sure that you are using the 'network' service and not "NetworkManager". NetworkManager should only be used for managing wireless connections IMO.

jlehtone

Post by jlehtone » 2012/07/18 21:48:08

NetworkManager does not tend to be an issue on CentOS 5.

First thing to read: http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Network/SecuringSSH

From that you learn that ssh as root is not wise. Login without authentication is even worse.

During installation one has to set the password for root.

Mark4785

Post by Mark4785 » 2012/07/22 23:22:00

[quote]
jlehtone wrote:
NetworkManager does not tend to be an issue on CentOS 5.

First thing to read: http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Network/SecuringSSH

From that you learn that ssh as root is not wise. Login without authentication is even worse.

During installation one has to set the password for root.[/quote]

Thanks for the link. I have read and completed the steps provided in that document but I am still only able to remotely view, via SSH, CentOS after I have logged in as a standard user. The same was the case for root. What modifications, if any, would I need to do be able to view CentOS via SSH at the log-in screen?

Also, how do I know whether I am using the 'NetworkManager' or 'Network' service?

Mark.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Managing server via SSH

Post by pschaff » 2012/07/23 15:15:32

[quote]
Mark4785 wrote:
Thanks for the link. I have read and completed the steps provided in that document but I am still only able to remotely view, via SSH, CentOS after I have logged in as a standard user. The same was the case for root. What modifications, if any, would I need to do be able to view CentOS via SSH at the log-in screen?[/quote]
By "view" do you mean to log in via ssh?

[quote]
Also, how do I know whether I am using the 'NetworkManager' or 'Network' service?[/quote]
[b]chkconfig --list | grep -i network[/b]

Mark4785

Post by Mark4785 » 2012/07/25 19:02:51

[quote]
pschaff wrote:
[quote]
Mark4785 wrote:
Thanks for the link. I have read and completed the steps provided in that document but I am still only able to remotely view, via SSH, CentOS after I have logged in as a standard user. The same was the case for root. What modifications, if any, would I need to do be able to view CentOS via SSH at the log-in screen?[/quote]

[quote]
Also, how do I know whether I am using the 'NetworkManager' or 'Network' service?[/quote]
[b]chkconfig --list | grep -i network[/b][/quote]

Yes, by "view" i mean to log in to either root or a standard user account on CentOS via an SSH client on my iMac WHEN CentOS is at the splash screen (log in/welcome screen).

Mark4785

Post by Mark4785 » 2012/07/25 20:18:59

[quote]
Mark4785 wrote:
[quote]
pschaff wrote:
[quote]
Mark4785 wrote:

[quote]
[b]chkconfig --list | grep -i network[/b][/quote]

Yes, by "view" i mean to log in to either root or a standard user account on CentOS via an SSH client on my iMac WHEN CentOS is at the splash screen (log in/welcome screen).[/quote]

I am still having difficulties doing the above. I tried to connect to CentOS (using the SSH port of 22) using the MacOSX terminal over on my iMac, rather than using the 'Chicken of the VNC' client and I got this error message:

"Port forwarding only permitted by root account".

At the time of this connection attempt, the CentOS machine was logged into a standard user account. So my next question is how would I allow port forwarding on a CentOS machine whilst it is at the log-in menu?

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2012/07/27 13:24:08

Please stop quoting entire messages to no good purpose - it just adds noise to the communications channel. If you need to quote for context then trim to the minimum required for clarity.

I've never seen a message "Port forwarding only permitted by root account" and it is unclear where that is coming from. Port forwarding is usually done by a router using NAT to systems on a private LAN.

Aside from that, all I can think to suggest is to provide the information requested about the network and NetworkManager services, and to read:

[url=http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/CentOS6#head-b67e85d98f0e9f1b599358105c551632c6ff7c90]CentOS-6 FAQ #2 Why does my Ethernet not work unless I log in and explicitly enable it?[/url]