[CentOS 6.2 - centosplus] Freeze (memory or kernel panic?)

General support questions
fexos0

Post by fexos0 » 2012/06/30 18:09:31

Hey guys, I would like to congratulate for your work in the first place. I have just moved from Fedora 14 (as it wasn't maintained any more for some time already because of their 4 versions policy) which was the last release with this [i]clean[/i] (so to speak) GUI and I've said to myself to try CentOS (I don't really want to give away SELinux for now).

As on Fedora 14 I encountered problems and various bugs with applications, for example in Skype at log-in RAM would get full and only SWAP would help me, but on CentOS 6.2 (centosplus) this isn't the case. Like in the Fedora 14 I have System Monitor in my Panel, I could see there my RAM sky rocketing and swap kicking in, but this isn't the case with CentOS, it basically freeze and there is not a sign which shows where the problem comes (either CPU or Memory or a kernel panic of some sort).

Any ideas how could I debug my kernel and see some information related to the last actions that could be responsible for this? Also the freezes are random, this moment I browse the web and maybe rewind a YouTube clip and freezes or I just open a new tab in Firefox and it suddenly freezes (also had a scenario with VLC when I tried to pause a video).

No audio can be heard or any activity from the devices such as keyboard, mouse.

I have read a similar problem related to this: http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2011-August/116582.html

My system information that could help you:

[b]cat /etc/*release*[/b] and [b]uname -a[/b]:
[code]
CentOS release 6.2 (Final)
cat: /etc/lsb-release.d: Is a directory
cpe:/o:centos:linux:6:GA

Linux Chaos.Virtue 2.6.32-220.23.1.el6.centos.plus.i686 #1 SMP Tue Jun 19 03:00:23 BST 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[/code]

Graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT (with latest nvidia drivers installed)

Processor:
[quote]
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+

cpu MHz : 1000.000
cache size : 512 KB

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow extd_apicid pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy 3dnowprefetch lbrv
[/quote]

Would you like more information? dmesg/grub.conf/??

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Later edit:
Well I know I have installed an i686 CentOS when I have a 64 AMD processor, but isn't there any other workarounds if this is the problem (which I do not think so, but who knows)?

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2012/07/03 20:16:29

Welcome to the CentOS fora. Please see the recommended reading for new users linked in my signature.

Is there a particular reason to be running the plus kernel? It is only recommended if it is needed. Did you install the Nvidia drivers from the manufacturer or use the ELRepo [url=http://elrepo.org/tiki/FAQ]kABI-tracking[/url] kmod driver package [url=http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia]kmod-nvidia[/url]?

Given the variety of apparently unrelated problems, tunning memtest86+ at least overnight (longer is better) would be advisable.

It might help to [url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=28723&forum=54]provide more information about your system[/url] by running "./getinfo.sh" and showing us the output file.

fexos0

Re: [CentOS 6.2 - centosplus] Freeze (memory or kernel panic?)

Post by fexos0 » 2012/07/10 19:49:22

[quote]
pschaff wrote:
Welcome to the CentOS fora. Please see the recommended reading for new users linked in my signature.

Is there a particular reason to be running the plus kernel? It is only recommended if it is needed.[/quote]

I am using the plus kernel because it supplies much more packages. Since I am more than a casual user of Linux, I install packages ranging from the ones originating on KDE (such as kwrite,ktorrent etc.), debugging related ones, pentesting, programming and so on. Those may require packages that are not supplied/available for the "normal" kernel.

[quote] Did you install the Nvidia drivers from the manufacturer or use the ELRepo [url=http://elrepo.org/tiki/FAQ]kABI-tracking[/url] kmod driver package [url=http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia]kmod-nvidia[/url]?[/quote]

NVIDIA drivers are the ones from manufacturer. I had to blacklist nouveau driver at boot time of GRUB and make a xorg.conf by NVIDIA installer. Had to go into run level 3 after booting in single user mode and "telinit-ing 3". Everything runs smooth from this point of view (referring to compiz effects as well).

[quote]Given the variety of apparently unrelated problems, tunning memtest86+ at least overnight (longer is better) would be advisable.[/quote]

I will try the memtest86+ advice for sure. Thanks.

[quote]It might help to [url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=28723&forum=54]provide more information about your system[/url] by running "./getinfo.sh" and showing us the output file.[/quote]

About the getinfo bash script, after I will take a look at it, maybe I will run and come back with more info.

Thanks!

P.S.: I have just erased kernel `kernel-2.6.32-220.el6.i686' in order to update to (the current) kernel: `2.6.32-279.el6.centos.plus.i686' (the reason is I did not have enough space to /boot and I use LVM so couldn't extend the boot partition, though I tried to use another partition from a secondy hard disk, fsck.ext4 always reported it was busy or in use so I quit and erased older kernel)

I had a similar freeze when using Firefox 3.6.28 (removed the 10 one because of add-on compatibility issues and many more stuff) when I was watching a YouTube video at 720p but I succeeded into killing Xorg and my display manager restarted the X Windows server :-) at least I did not have the freeze I used to have, but since then, everything is fine. Thanks for the support.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2012/07/10 21:34:54

[quote]
fexos0 wrote:
I am using the plus kernel because it supplies much more packages. Since I am more than a casual user of Linux, I install packages ranging from the ones originating on KDE (such as kwrite,ktorrent etc.), debugging related ones, pentesting, programming and so on. Those may require packages that are not supplied/available for the "normal" kernel. [/quote]
I believe you are confused. The plus kernel is compiled with additional drivers configured and has nothing to do with what application packages you may install.

[quote]
NVIDIA drivers are the ones from manufacturer. I had to blacklist nouveau driver at boot time of GRUB and make a xorg.conf by NVIDIA installer. Had to go into run level 3 after booting in single user mode and "telinit-ing 3". Everything runs smooth from this point of view (referring to compiz effects as well).[/quote]
Using the kmod-nvidia package is recommended as it is built from the same manufacturer's sources, but as a kABI-tracking module that does not have to be rebuilt for each new kernel.

fexos0

Post by fexos0 » 2012/07/12 06:11:57

[quote]
pschaff wrote:
[...]
I believe you are confused. The plus kernel is compiled with additional drivers configured and has nothing to do with what application packages you may install.[/quote]
Yes. You are right, I've read about the [url=http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/CentOSPlus/]CentOS Plus repositories[/url] and confused with the kernel, sorry. It does say at summary it is not intended to be enabled from default.

By the way, it is more like a paradox because it would be supposed that more drivers configured == more compatiblity? But of course, that does not count every time, it may just be the other way around.

[quote]Using the kmod-nvidia package is recommended as it is built from the same manufacturer's sources, but as a kABI-tracking module that does not have to be rebuilt for each new kernel.[/quote]

Thank you. As I have updated to a new kernel version (2.6.32-279.1.1.el6.centos.plus.i686) like it is always happening the boot is "stuck" at "Registering binary handler for Windows applications:"; followed the same old path to switch to another tty by ALT+F2 and in that virtual console I have installed the kmod-nvidia from elrepos repository. Anything is fine so far and smooth. Time will decide.

Thank you for your help, if it still persists I will have to switch to nonplus kernel.