How to Secure the passwordless share using samba

Installing, Configuring, Troubleshooting server daemons such as Web and Mail
sunnythakur

Post by sunnythakur » 2012/03/19 10:12:57

Hello,

I have created a pass wordless share using samba[File Server] on which i have placed the daily uses s/w for teams. I have assigned rw permissions to all so that if other teams want to copy the useful s/w on this share.

Now the problem is this that some users are start putting their data[Personal, Backup] on this share.

Can this be possible that users can not copy the data on this passwordless share but admin can do.

Thanks,
Sunny
MIT, RHCE
System Administrator [Open Source Technologies]

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: How to Secure the passwordless share using samba

Post by pschaff » 2012/03/19 21:25:57

Welcome to the CentOS fora. Please see the recommended reading for new users linked in my signature.

The precise answer to your question is [url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]yes[/url], but your post is quite unclear. If you simply want read-only access for particular users then specify that in smb.conf, make the directory owned by root with a group to which the users belong, and with permissions 750.

If more help is needed please explain more clearly what access you want for what classes of users.

sunnythakur

Post by sunnythakur » 2012/03/22 09:18:11

Thansks for the revert.

Actually i have a common repository server created on samba [CentOS 5].
This repository is accessible by all the users [near about 200] so that they can pick the s/w from here and use/install as per their need.

Now this share is passwordless [So that user can access it without remembering their passwords ] as i keep in mind at that time that user can also share their s/w on this repo as per the standard so that other team can use the same.

But now user are copying their personal data/s/w/songs/emails etc on this server which is challenge to maintain the same.

To fix this is their any way to monitor this type of activity on samba or could permission should be apply on this share [Admin can write but other can't and share must be passwrodless ]

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2012/03/22 20:55:40

I'd make the common share read-only and create a separate share or shares with write access, preferably with a password required, for write access. That will at least keep the garbage off your main share, and the administrator could move or copy things that need to go the the main share. It would also allow you to segregate the writable space by user so you can catch the abusers.

gerald_clark

Post by gerald_clark » 2012/03/23 14:18:46

Delete the "illegal" files, and after a couple of times they will stop.
Make them jump through hoops to get them back.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2012/03/23 14:27:35

Should those be [i]flaming[/i] hoops? :-)

gerald_clark

Post by gerald_clark » 2012/03/23 14:40:10

With daggers mounted around the rim.